Sorry...this is non-dive related...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago I lost a big toenail to the ski gods. I let it hang on as long as it could, and then pulled it off when the new nail had a good bit of growth going for it. I never had a problem with the new nail burying itself in the nail bed.

AzAtty once bubbled...
Years ago I lost a big toenail to the ski gods. I let it hang on as long as it could, and then pulled it off when the new nail had a good bit of growth going for it. I never had a problem with the new nail burying itself in the nail bed.
I did mine snowboarding...

O-ring once bubbled...

I did mine snowboarding...

A perfect example why snowboarding is much too dangerous a sport; stick to dreaming about diving the Doria. :D

SMKChef once bubbled...

A perfect example why snowboarding is much too dangerous a sport; stick to dreaming about diving the Doria. :D
I wonder if the 8 ATMs of pressure at the Doria will be enough to force that toenail back on..
:D

O-ring once bubbled...

I wonder if the 8 ATMs of pressure at the Doria will be enough to force that toenail back on..
:D

Don't you have a meeting to go to? :eek:ut:

Nail injuries are a common problem seen in UK family practice, O-ring.

Commonly a crush injury causes bleeding under the nail, much like a bruise under the skin. Within a few hours this becomes extemely painful as the trapped blood absorbs fluid by osmosis and increases the pressure under the nail. (This can be released by trephining - very simply by burning a hole in the nail to let out the sanguinous fluid to release the pressure. A sterile, red-hot paper clip has been used for this.)

The nail is separated from its root by the pressure of the injury so the living part grows a new nail under the old one, which will fall off in time. As time goes by the old nail becomes more and more of a nuisance, catching on socks etc., so the simple remedy is (get your doctor) to do as AzAtty did

AzAtty once bubbled...
. . . pulled it off when the new nail had a good bit of growth going for it. I never had a problem with the new nail burying itself in the nail bed.

Several weeks of nuisance are exchanged for a second or two of intense pain. (A local anesthetic is of little use, as the pain of it's administratiion is worse than the pain of the avulsion.)

Gruesome! :hiding: :yuck:

I forgot to update this after the events of a couple nights ago. Anyway, like Doc Paul said, the nail did exactly that when I injured it snowboarding a couple months ago. Anyway, one of my dive buddies told me to do just what the doc said, but we were on a dive in VA Beach and I didn't have access to all the accoutrements to do a "proper" puncturing so I shoved my house key under the nail from the front. The thing erupted like a geyser and made both of my dive buddies nauseous. It was highly worth it and definitely recommended.

Anyway, I was trying to get a better look at the new nail growing in a couple days ago and I must have bent the nail up too far because I couldn't get it to lie back down. It was sticking up off my big toe like a shark's fin, so I had to remove it. I just cut it down as far as I could and filed the rest (with the file I use on my dive gear no less).

So...now I am nail-less (unless you count the little stub that is growing) and it does feel much better...not in the way and catching on stuff.

O-ring once bubbled...
. . . The thing erupted like a geyser and made both of my dive buddies nauseous. It was highly worth it and definitely recommended.

I have not yet stained my OR ceiling but white coats don't provide much protection! :geek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom