Source for plastic SAE -3 and -4 LP HP port plugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fibonacci

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just wondering if anyone has a source for those plastic threaded port plugs that fit LP SAE-3 and HP SAE-4 ORB ports?
Very handy to plug spare first stage regs and much easier to remove/replace than the usual unthreaded tapered plastic plugs, and actual port plugs are not required in storage. Some new first stage regs are shipped this way.
I can find some industrial supply places that list them, but only in 1,000 minimum order quantities :oops:

Attachments

• SAE port plug.png
    SAE port plug.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Poseidon Mk3 with SAE plugs.png
    Poseidon Mk3 with SAE plugs.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 42
I'm not quite sure I follow the reasoning why you want plastic. Theoretically, anything with the right threading should fit.

If it's just price-related, at $2 each, I tend to just buy a bunch of port plugs from DGX.

Just to act as dust plugs, without having to use up actual port plugs.
The DGX plugs look good but shipping to Australia would make them significantly more expensive... locally they run around $3.50 each x 4-6 but if I can get plastic dust caps for a few cents each I'd rather put the real port plugs on 'user' regs.

Plastic caps may be cheaper, but one option (if you can't find them) is to try a local hardware store. You should be able to find bolts with the right threading. They usually have something like this (below). I'd probably use a port-plug or hose (not the first stage) to match.

treading.JPG

If all you want is a dust plug, you could probably just use plastic or metal short screw.

The LP uses just standard 3/8"-24 UNF-2B threads.

The HP uses 7/16" 20 UNF-2B threads.

They are both very common in the US. I do not know about Australia.

The Screw length should probably be 3/8" or less for either.

Thanks Luis, sadly those UNF thread sizes are very uncommon outside SCUBA in Australia.
I have since had some success in tracking down SAE -4 caps (7/16"x20 HP port) as they are used in hydraulic equipment here, but the smaller SAE -3 (3/8"x24 LP port) still eludes me.
I've emailed Ryco to ask 🤞

Attachments

• Ryco SAE caps.png
    Ryco SAE caps.png
    192 KB · Views: 32
For just a dust cover, CapPlug comes in a ton of sizes. We use them at work to keep dust out of open ports on equipment. Non-threaded. Taper fit.

After awhile most divers will end up with a pretty good assortment of random port plugs.

Aha... these?

Smallest size is 7/16"x20 SAE-4

I emailed to ask correct size tapered plugs for SAE-3 and -4

Back
Top Bottom