Spare Air-- travel problems???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
GOOD ONE GARY!

wow...Dennis, look at all these closet spare air people!

I just hope the terrorists don't see Gary's tip. We would be doomed.

Yeah, I wonder if C-4 is OK in a zip-Lock? :D

shhhhhh. Probably. Watch it...you'll be on another "no fly list" in some Muslim country. Dennis....we don't joke around about this stuff unless you want a cavity search. okay: I am going to self -moderate NOW.

catherine96821:
shhhhhh. Probably. Watch it...you'll be on another "no fly list" in some Muslim country. Dennis....we don't joke around about this stuff unless you want a cavity search.

:11: :11: :11:

On my first trip to Micronesia in 2005, my new camera backpack tested positive for explosives at LAX. The agent didn't freak out or anything, he just asked if I had used after-shave or some type of hand cream (morning flight). I said yes and we just filled out some paperwork and I was on my way. The scary thing is he didn't check further to see if I was lying about the after-shave...

ohhhh..you are a haole Canadian. I wouldn't check either...I'm a profiler.
I traveled with somebody to Iceland that had been around fertilizer on a farm. Geez..almost did not get on the plane.

Try taping a side handle on it, put an extension cord out the back and a kitchen sink strainer over the other end. If they ask just say it’s a hair dryer.

Oh wait a minute. That wouldn’t work because it doesn’t have enough air to dry your hair. :D

Gary D.

So is it better to put the spare air in your carry on vs. checked bag? My carry on is usually pretty stuffed already. Is there any problem putting it in the checked baggage?

Had mine packed in checked luggage, empty with top loosely screwed on. Those heavy-handed bozos destroyed the "regulator" in their attempt to enhance my flying safety. If I fly with it again I'll pack the tank portion and carry the "regulator" in my carry-on with my real reg.

One thing I've found helpful for the carry-on. When they pull it aside and ask to open it for inspection I say, "sure thing, but be gentle, it's life-support equipment". The response has always been respectful, gentle, and usually a cursory look without touching anything.

theskull

With my pony, I unscrew the valve all the way, put a baggie with elastic over the open end.
Ideal? No, but it seems to work.
I absolutely take my regs as carry-on.

adjuster-jd:
So is it better to put the spare air in your carry on vs. checked bag? My carry on is usually pretty stuffed already. Is there any problem putting it in the checked baggage?

I took a pony to the Philippines last year, left it where I dive usually, but I always check in all my dive gear including camera housing except for computers which I carry on. When I checked the pony in, they did open the suitcase and look at it but I had a print out of the regulations and they packed it all back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom