spearing on scuba-gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when I shoot triggers, I break the dorsal spine over when I string them. I also string them through the mouth, let them chew on steel.

Same here, they can take a nice chunk out of your skin if you string them through the eye and they're still alive. Vindictive little buggers.

and FWIW, I've speared before BC's existed, with a jacket BC & a BP/W. All I use now is a BP/w for all my diving as I prefer to have the buoyancy behind me, but that really doesn't have much of anything to do with being able to shoot a fish or catch a bug.

Florida Museum of Natural History Ichthyology Department

I'm assuming then, that you have never run across a Grey Triggerfish. On the link above, scroll down to the 'Distinctive Features' The fin furthest to the front is normally imbedded into the back of the fish. However, when provoked, the fin pops up and can be used as a defensive method. I've been stuck twice with it and it is not a good feeling. Maybe "pointy" would be the more preferred word?

I've speared hundreds of them. Their forward dorsal spine is not sharp at all, most other fish do have sharp spines that could puncture a BC.

I've speared hundreds of them. Their forward dorsal spine is not sharp at all, most other fish do have sharp spines that could puncture a BC.

Apparently, you and I have two completely different definitions of sharp. :idk:

I'd go with a backplate w/ wing with minimal "extras" on the front (except D-rings). This frees up space for all your equipment and minimizes tangles. Don't be shy with the D-rings though and attach bronze/stainless clips to all your loose equipment (available at your local hardware store). You can't drop something that is attached to you.

I'd also go with a powerinflator integrated alternate air source, again to minimize tangles and aid streamlining. Another solution is to use an octo, but add a necklace style bungie so your alternate air hangs below your chin.

A wrist mounted dive computer will also help you quickly glance at it and minimize fumbling for your console. Get tank pressure integrated if you are looking to spend. If not, then attach a clip to your console with a small lanyard (I use those necklace style key chains/id card holder and cut them down to size) so you can clip it to a convenient D-ring and know where it is.

I personally prefer using half non-dumpable weights integrated on the BC and half in the weight belt. Aids your trim, prevents 50 lb BCs and is easy (and cheap) to dump. I also like my knife on my shoulder or waist so it doesn't hang up in kelp. Another trick for the kelp is to reverse your fin straps from inside-out to outside-in+tape so they don't get caught.

Hope this helps and best wishes.

I appreciated all the advice, I think my question may have been a little misinterpreted though, I was just asking about personal preferences :coffee:

I appreciated all the advice, I think my question may have been a little misinterpreted though, I was just asking about personal preferences :coffee:

They are one in the same. If anyone suggested a jacket BCD over a BP/Wings they definately did not like your question. :)

Easy and quick to get on and off.
Clutter free but totally integrating everything needed for the dive. If you have to strap it on your arm or leg I give you a D-.
No dangleees no entanglements. If you don't expect to ever need it or use it, leave it at home.
Propper trim so the reef doesn't look like you been pulling a farmers disk behind you as you swim down the ledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom