Best Regulators for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My set of XT1/XT4 Dive Rite regs seems to be a best bang for the buck option. More than a beginner might need, but you would never outgrow them and for the cost, better than other high-priced markup regs of lesser features.

(Mildly off topic...)

Would "the panel" recommend getting the DIN wheel with the regulator? As in buy the yoke version but with the DIN connector at the time of purchase?
I guess you mean the DIN conversion kit like in this photo? I think that would be good idea if you plan on converting back to yoke when going on vacation to an area with only yoke tank valves. Price wise the conversion kit is $48 in the USA these days but a scubapro spin on yoke adapter is crazy high at $140 these days.
DIN Conversion.jpeg

I have never heard of a Yoke that can be adapted to a DIN, but I have heard of (and seen) DIN attachments that can be adapted to a Yoke.
Well I think the OP's idea is to buy the yoke version and then convert to DIN. Scubapro does make a part that would turn the yoke that is left over into a spin on adapter. Below is a picture of a Scubapro spin on adapter. As you can see in the yoke are two parts; the Adapter - DIN to yoke and the nut that holds it onto the yoke. Angelo Farina had/has a website that listed the part numbers for an old adapter. I would love to get the new part numbers and somehow purchase the assembly to convert a left over yoke to a spin on adapter. Scuba.com charges $140 for the spin on in the photo below. Yikes.
SCPDTYA.jpg

Question on the DIN conversion kits. Once in place, does the regulator support the same higher pressures that DIN would? Or is that rating more applicable to the tank valve itself?

Question on the DIN conversion kits. Once in place, does the regulator support the same higher pressures that DIN would? Or is that rating more applicable to the tank valve itself?
There are two versions of the Universal Scubapro DIN conversion kit, one is Low Pressure (232 bars, short DIN screw) and one is High Pressure (300 bars, long DIN screw).
The latter can be used both on normal "convertible" tanks AND on European 300 bars tanks.
The LP version only works with convertible tank valves (those with hex insert).
I installed the 300 bars version on my MK10 and 3 of my MK5s, albeit technically these regs are not rated for 300 bars. If I had found it, I should had better installed the LP version.
All modern Scubapro regs are rated for 300 bars, so you can safely install the 300 bars kit.

Well I think the OP's idea is to buy the yoke version and then convert to DIN. Scubapro does make a part that would turn the yoke that is left over into a spin on adapter. Below is a picture of a Scubapro spin on adapter. As you can see in the yoke are two parts; the Adapter - DIN to yoke and the nut that holds it onto the yoke. Angelo Farina had/has a website that listed the part numbers for an old adapter. I would love to get the new part numbers and somehow purchase the assembly to convert a left over yoke to a spin on adapter. Scuba.com charges $140 for the spin on in the photo below. Yikes.View attachment 792056
Yes. This is the type of adapter that I have seen. One in which you can adapt a DIN 1st stage to fit a yoke tank valve.

I have never seen the reverse. One in which you can take a Yoke 1st stage and adapt it to be used with a DIN tank valve.

I have also seen tank valves with an insert that gives them the capability to accept either a DIN or a Yoke 1st stage.

The simple answer is that a new diver should check with the shop(s) where they will be renting tanks most often.

If the shop(s) rent mostly yoke tanks, get yoke; if they rent mostly DIN, get DIN. Note that even rental tanks with valves that have the inserts are not always convertible, as the inserts often get frozen in place with corrosion or when a valve gets bumped out of round.

If/when a new diver buys their own tanks they can either get tanks to match their reg or convert their reg to DIN or get a thread-on DIN adapter (which they should have for traveling anyway if they started with DIN).

My simple answer turned out to not be so simple ...

Yes. This is the type of adapter that I have seen. One in which you can adapt a DIN 1st stage to fit a yoke tank valve.

I have never seen the reverse. One in which you can take a Yoke 1st stage and adapt it to be used with a DIN tank valve.

I have also seen tank valves with an insert that gives them the capability to accept either a DIN or a Yoke 1st stage.
Better to swap the Yoke with the Scubapro universal DIN kit.
When you are in a place with no DIN-convertible valves, in less than a minute you mount back the original yoke.

Better to swap the Yoke with the Scubapro universal DIN kit.
When you are in a place with no DIN-convertible valves, in less than a minute you mount back the original yoke.
With the Yoke to DIN conversion, does the regulator stick out more from the tank valve? I know the DIN to Yoke adapters do that.

My standard recommendation for beginners (or even experienced folk) is a Scubapro MK11 or Halcyon H50-D (same as SP MK17) paired with a C370 second. Around $500-600 USD and you won't outgrow it.

I would shammelessly cut the standard Scubapro mouthpiece off the C370 and immediately throw in the garbage. Replace with Apeks Comfo-bite mouthpeice (tried the standard SP mouthpiece on a G260 on most recent trip to Roatan and by the third day, it almost ended diving for that trip - saved by the XL4 spare I took. (Which may be a contender for my favorite small 2nd - the C370 is highly regarded and often paired with the MK11 in a combo package. But thinking about it, the Apeks XL4+ set (first gen) is now available for around the same price point... Would have no heartburn on using that. I bought into the SP MK11/MK17 platform and have close to a butt ton of service kits for them....)

Oh, that does not include an octo. I would probably go with something like an Edge Octo for purely occasional recreational diving.

Do as I say, not as I do.... I spent WAY too much on reg setups up front a couple years ago, listening to the local dibe store.
The C370 should ship with the newer "Compact High Flow" mouthpiece. Still not my favorite, but much better than the mouthpiece that ships with the G260 which they call the "Supercomfort High Flow" mouthpiece! I like either the Apeks Comfo-bite or the Atomic Aquatics dual-silicone mouthpiece.

I started using the S270 second stage for my recreational set and I am very impressed with this little gem from Scubapro. I rarely adjust the inhalation resistance and this balanced second stage checks all the boxes for me.

Back
Top Bottom