Best Regulators for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question on the DIN conversion kits. Once in place, does the regulator support the same higher pressures that DIN would? Or is that rating more applicable to the tank valve itself?

The current Scubapro Universal DIN conversion kit is the same parts used on their DIN models. It is easy to swap back and forth. Since the OP lives in Florida and may dive in the Keys he probably should purchase the yoke version and then grab the DIN kit. It is cheaper in total that way.

Also, while I am a Scubapro fan, the Deep Six and DGX sets are perfectly good regulators and cost effective and possibly easier for us normal folks to get parts kits for. Maybe, so it is said. But you cannot go wrong with Scubapro.

My point is that for Scubapro US prices are really exaggerated.
I did a search on the prices in Florida , and you are correct.
Crazy prices compared to Deep Six.
If I lived there I would have a look at them [but I don't, so it is Scubapro "at the right price"].

Dudes!

Ha ha ah ah ah ah ha ah ha hahahahaah ha!

Because you must!
A classic but it looks like it's been neglected if not abused. Figure on $150-$200 to get it overhauled and back in shape even if it doesn't need any new hoses. But you'd be unable to use with >3000 psi unless you buy a new yoke (another $50?) Not really a great deal.

Tusa/Kronos reg is not really worth saving IMO.

Question on the DIN conversion kits. Once in place, does the regulator support the same higher pressures that DIN would? Or is that rating more applicable to the tank valve itself?
Would imagine that pretty much ALL regulators are made for 300 bar/4351.132psi and the joke mounting would be restricted to whatever the max fill pressure is.

The only regulator I have that is not 300bar is a little suit inflate first stage. This is DIN and has the shorter 232bar 5 thread DIN connector (300bar has 8 threads)

The proper yoke connector (not adapter) for £30/$40:

If you are in Miami, you have lots of opportunities to talk to people. Talk to dive shops and ask them which regs are the easiest for them to service. Talk to friends and ask them about getting their regs serviced -- where do they do it and have they had any problems, etc. The Scubapro Mk2 is probably the most popular choice I have seen for rentals when I do warm water diving and everyone seems to think they are the easiest to get serviced anywhere. If you are going to use a reg for a long time, ease and cost of service is probably just as a important as the initial price. (If you are going to be diving cold water, you may have other concerns.)

However, I bought the Diver's Supply Sea Elite Covert house brand and those regulators have worked well for me and a family of cold water divers. . . however, you may get funny looks if you try to get them serviced locally.

With the Yoke to DIN conversion, does the regulator stick out more from the tank valve? I know the DIN to Yoke adapters do that.
No, with the Universal Conversion kit, 300 bars, the regulator protrudes from the valve exactly the same as with the Yoke mount.
Even less if you use the 232-bar conversion kit, as the screw goes totally inside the valve.

I have never seen the reverse. One in which you can take a Yoke 1st stage and adapt it to be used with a DIN tank valve.
Hi,
You can find this adaptor but it is used for filling...not really practical for diving :)

For Spearos in the Miami area, contact Austin's Dive Center for advise and equipment. You should be able to get a Scubapro Mk 2 regulator from them for a moderate amount of $$.

Back
Top Bottom