SPG's All The Same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'm leaning towards the Dive Rite SPG.

Why wouldn't the SPG be clipped off to a chest mounted D-ring as opposed to the waist D-ring? wouldn't you just have to glance down to view the gauge if it was clipped off on the chest?

taat2d once bubbled...
Why wouldn't the SPG be clipped off to a chest mounted D-ring as opposed to the waist D-ring? wouldn't you just have to glance down to view the gauge if it was clipped off on the chest?

Simply accept the fact that the SPG is clipped off to the left hip d-ring as an intrinsic, immutable truth of the universe...

George Irvine says
The pressure gauge is from the left run straight down the left side to the left side d-ring where it is clipped off. This has no boot , no console , and no other clap trap on it. The hose should be short enough to stay out of the slipstream and long enough to view when unclipped. It is read on the fly with the left hand.
Quoted from, Doing It Right Gear Configuration by George Irvine. WKPP website. Doesn't exactly explain why though.

Drink the Kool Aid, go ahead, everybody's doing it:wink:

taat2d once bubbled...
I would be interested if anyone has an argument besides "it just isn't done that way"..

taat2d once bubbled...

It depends on if you want to do it DIR or DIL. :D

lal7176 once bubbled...

It depends on if you want to do it DIR or DIL. :D
My friend is like taat2d...he just wants to know why he can't clip it to his left chest d-ring. It is easier to see (just glance down) and much less cluttered since the left hip d-ring might have 2 deco bottles attached. His original idea was to route it over to the right chest d-ring, but we talked him out of that based on the fact that he now would have to unclip it to get out of his rig in an emergency since the clipped off SPG running from his left post would act like a seat belt keeping him in his rig. That, to us, was a well reasoned argument and he saw the logic and promptly suggested the left chest d-ring. We don't have a logical argument to talk him out of that one yet, but I would like one...any takers?

O-ring once bubbled...

My friend is like taat2d...he just wants to know why he can't clip it to his left chest d-ring. It is easier to see (just glance down) and much less cluttered since the left hip d-ring might have 2 deco bottles attached. His original idea was to route it over to the right chest d-ring, but we talked him out of that based on the fact that he now would have to unclip it to get out of his rig in an emergency since the clipped off SPG running from his left post would act like a seat belt keeping him in his rig. That, to us, was a well reasoned argument and he saw the logic and promptly suggested the left chest d-ring. We don't have a logical argument to talk him out of that one yet, but I would like one...any takers?

Why not take it a little further and mount his SPG on a five foot hose, run it across his chest, over his right shoulder, behind his neck, back over his left shoulder and attach his spg to a bungee and hang it from his neck.That way its right there when he needs it.

As far as a good argument not to clip it to his left d-ring, the only thing i can think of is it violates rule #6(i think) its gotta look cool. :mean:

lal7176 once bubbled...

Why not take it a little further and mount his SPG on a five foot hose, run it across his chest, over his right shoulder, behind his neck, back over his left shoulder and attach his spg to a bungee and hang it from his neck.That way its right there when he needs it.

As far as a good argument not to clip it to his left d-ring, the only thing i can think of is it violates rule #6(i think) its gotta look cool. :mean:
That's pretty much the only argument we have come up with also...that and the fact that nobody else on the team is going to do it and it wouldn't be standard.

O-ring once bubbled...

That's pretty much the only argument we have come up with also...that and the fact that nobody else on the team is going to do it and it wouldn't be standard.
<sigh> Repeat after me - Vytec transmitter... Vytec transmitter... Vytec transmitter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom