Spinoff: During a dive, does your mask leak at all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psychocabbage:
given the choice of having a mask with 0 leaks or exposing my eyes to salt water, 0 leaks wins out every time.

Don't you practice no mask breathing?

My mask does not leak but I will let water in sometimes to clear the glass.

My mask leaks sometimes, even though it's a perfect fit.... Why?

I'm always grinning! If I keep a straight face, and pretend I'm not having fun, it's great.

After years of working outside and getting older (52), I have developed a few deep wrinkles at the corner of my eyes and between my eyebrows. I have tried several different masks and have yet found one that doesn't leak. I have even tried some mask glue, and that didn't help. I have become very proficient at mask clearing though. Sometimes when taking pictures it is a problem. I would like to find one that doesn't leak since I do wear contacts. When the saltwater gets in them it is very irritating.

Don't you practice no mask breathing?

I'm doing that right now.

Moreover, my tear ducts work, so I'm used to having salty water in my eyes.

Anyway, I'm off to dive.

normally, my mask does not leak. But during vacation - being all lazy - i do not shave. And with all the hair in the face, leaking can not be avoided. :)

My mask usually doesn't leak during a dive.

However, I usually do leak during a dive; something to do with being surrounded with all that water I suppose.... :D

Best wishes!

I hate water in my mask! I found that if I put the mask on dry, it will usually not seal well. But if I get my face and/or mask edge wet, this makes for a much beter seal, I assume the thin film of water serves to seal the skirt.

I would think that the thin film of water would actually allow the mask to find a natural seat (i.e. slip and slide into place) rather than to aid in the seal but who knows. If it works run with it. I may try this sometime soon as my method typically will only see the mask getting wet before putting it on my face.

I have a moustache and full beard. For years, I played "musical masks" until I discovered the Tusa Liberator (now Liberator+). That was the first mask that, for me, was totally dry. Occasionally, I get a hair under the skirt which causes a small leak, but ordinarily they are totally dry. After about 400-500 dives, I find that the skirts stiffen slightly, and do not seem to seal as well. At that point I buy a new Liberator+, drop in one of my 3 sets of prescription lenses, and the current mask becomes my backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom