Sri Lanka Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well no diving is allowed in the north itself :(

The furthest north you can dive is off Kalpitiya. No dive operators but people organize trips up there. I sometimes go there for research so PM me if you are interested in going. Further south, there are dive operators in Bentota, Colombo and Negombo. Bentota diving is somewhat similar to Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna with large rock formations. Colombo and Negombo have flat sandstone reefs with some interesting macro. Negombo probably has better fish diversity. Colombo has good wreck diving. The season seems a bit late this year and the sea is still a bit unsettled. Hopefully will be ok when you are in SL. The south coast has the best selection of dive operators, nice beaches and plenty of places to stay. Colombo is just a big city. Negombo has good hotels and an ok beach. Kalpitiya is off the beaten path.

Any dive shop/person organizing trip to dive HMS Hermes?
Much appreciated and thank you very much.

Nishan,
the information you provided here and in your blog might be the most useful I could find on the web about diving in Sri Lanka, much appreciated!
I'll be there from November 18, probably diving out of Unawatuna w/ SeaHorse Diving; moving further inland later on. I'll try to drop by Colombo Divers before the end of this vacation, if you're in the South around that time pls PM me.
Cheers, max

www.divesrilanka.com is a good resource for information.

Will let you know if I'm in the south. Just getting back to SL next week after 2 months in Europe so looking forward to some warm water :)

Sri Lanka Diving Tours runs trips to the Hermes but the east coast season is from April to late September. The owner Felician is a member on Scubaboard.

I would recommend late May-end June for best conditions. I have had bathtub conditions on several trips at that time. If you like lots of fish then July to September. Stronger currents and lower viz though.

Thanks Nishan,
Divesrilanka provdes a useful overview, still I appreciate blogs and travelogs!
Safe travels!

Back
Top Bottom