Stainless backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nebdiver

Reaction score
I finally got to see first hand what everyone sees in a B/P wings setup. Dove one last nite and loved it. Granted I only have 2 real dives in a jacket BC. So now I am faced with the decision of aluminum or SS back plate. Has anyone seen excessive corrosion on an aluminum plate? Is the SS really worth the extra $$? I will be doing 90% of my diving in fresh (but mucky) water. Also was wondering if anyone has seen extra wear on exposure suit from the webbing. It seemed a bit more coarse than the other BC's I've used. Maybe it was newer than the well used rental gear.

I prefer aluminum. Weighs less for travel, and with aluminum you are not as top heavy as with steel. It is also easier to drill aluminum yourself, to modify it as needed.

If you are diving out of the back of your pickup truck, steel is probably fine in a backplate, however.

Try both, yourself, and see what you think.

Nebdiver:
I finally got to see first hand what everyone sees in a B/P wings setup. Dove one last nite and loved it. Granted I only have 2 real dives in a jacket BC. So now I am faced with the decision of aluminum or SS back plate. Has anyone seen excessive corrosion on an aluminum plate? Is the SS really worth the extra $$? I will be doing 90% of my diving in fresh (but mucky) water. Also was wondering if anyone has seen extra wear on exposure suit from the webbing. It seemed a bit more coarse than the other BC's I've used. Maybe it was newer than the well used rental gear.

It depends on your weighting situation. If you require a lot of weight (like when you dive dry), a SS plate is the way to go. If not a lot of weight is required (like when diving in warm water), you should choose an aluminum plate.

In my limited experience with BP/W, the choice between AL and SS is mostly a weight issue. How much weight do you want to pull off your belt? With a SS BP and heavy STA, you have 10 lbs on your back instead of your waist. I have SS, which actually has no corrosion yet (both fresh and salt diving), and all I do is rinse/soak.

Most harnesses (depending on maufacturers) seem to soften a bit with use. Mine has.

Welcome to the club!

This was in a pool with a steel tank and no exposure suit. I have worn 8# previously in pool work with jacket style. I was negative with no weight with the BPW. Fresh water with a 7mm i carry about 22#. The weight issue is one to think about. I will probably end up using an AL 80 in my normal dives. So that will change things also. It would be so nice to get the weight off a belt and on the BC. (didn't have W/I for class)I was more concerned with the corrosion and didn't give much thought to the weight issue. The scale is tipping to SS.

Nebdiver:
This was in a pool with a steel tank and no exposure suit. I have worn 8# previously in pool work with jacket style. I was negative with no weight with the BPW. Fresh water with a 7mm i carry about 22#. The weight issue is one to think about. I will probably end up using an AL 80 in my normal dives. So that will change things also. It would be so nice to get the weight off a belt and on the BC. (didn't have W/I for class)I was more concerned with the corrosion and didn't give much thought to the weight issue. The scale is tipping to SS.

So how do you like diving in pools? Its probably a lot like diving in quarries.

But I doubt that it is very much like diving in a cave or in the ocean.

Since you are from Nebraska, I suspect that you are going to be travelling a lot.

Nebdiver:

Much good info here already. I agree the choice between alum and SS is about weight. Corrosion is much less an issue. Remember that aluminum tanks are used in saltwater everyday. If you rinse your gear an aluminum plate should not be a problem.

If your diving a single, and are wearing any significant amount of neoprene the SS plate is probably a better choice as it will put 5-6 lbs up over your lungs. It's nice to get lbs off your belt too.

Aluminum or even plastic plates are sometimes used with heavy doubles, or in tropical conditions where much less buoyant suits are used. Lightweight plates are also popular for travel.

Good luck,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
...Aluminum or even plastic plates are sometimes used with heavy doubles, or in tropical conditions where much less buoyant suits are used. Lightweight plates are also popular for travel.

Time to hijack this thread.

I have never seen plastic backplates used with anything except the smallest twin tanks, or else with a single tank.

I really like the Back Plate and harness I got from Deep Sea Supply. Sometimes I feel a bit over weighted when I am only diving neoprene. I dive a plastic plate when I dive my dual 130's to help out with the weight. They can support any amount of weight I have thrown at it.

Hey Tobin, do you have a plastic BP option?

NetDoc:
I really like the Back Plate and harness I got from Deep Sea Supply. Sometimes I feel a bit over weighted when I am only diving neoprene. I dive a plastic plate when I dive my dual 130's to help out with the weight. They can support any amount of weight I have thrown at it.

Hey Tobin, do you have a plastic BP option?

Pete,

We do now have a plastic plate. 1.6 lbs. 1/8" kydex with SS reinforcements. http://www.deepseasupply.com/page9.html

Hope your safe, prepared, and on high ground.

Good luck,

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom