Standalone Mares Ultraskin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sulwh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am relatively cold intolerant and was looking for quick drying exposure protection for diving in tropical waters. How is the performance of Mares Ultraskin as a standalone compared to a 3mm wetsuit?

Additionally, for the 3mm wetsuit alternative, I was looking at the Bare Reactive 3mm. Is that way too overpriced for my needs?

Don't know anything about the Mares, but I do have the Bare 3/2 Revel. Great suit for "chilly" warm water dives and half the price of the Reactive!

I literally just placed an order less than an hour ago for a 3mm Bare Velocity Ultra to see how it does in my local lake with bottom temps in the low 60’s during the summer…but 90+ air temps….I’m dying in my 7mm waiting for everyone else to suit up 😂

I’ll be able to give a report back next week.

Intent was to make it my warm water / Florida in winter suit…but if I can take her down to 62-63F….that would be brilliant

Don't know anything about the Mares, but I do have the Bare 3/2 Revel. Great suit for "chilly" warm water dives and half the price of the Reactive!
I did look at that as well! What kind of temps are you diving in and what are your pain points with the wetsuit?

I did look at that as well! What kind of temps are you diving in and what are your pain points with the wetsuit?
Tolerance for cold is so subjective, so I'll give you an example of my profile.....I normally use the 3/2 Revel for "lower" Caribbean temps, like in the upper 70 degree range....76-79. My tolerance for cold is okay, but I like to be comfortable. To give you an idea, in normal Caribbean diving (82 to 85 degree water) I'm in a pair of 1mm tech shorts and a long sleeved rash guard. Once I'm in the 80 to 82 range, I may slip on a 1.5 mm Scuba Pro pant and top set I have unless it's just a two-tank and done thing. I used that 1.5 mm set for multiple days of shore diving in Bonaire (81 to 82 degrees) and it was perfect.

If the water dips into the upper 70's I'll usually wear my Bare 3/2...or if I'm doing A LOT of diving in the 80 range, I'll wear it. It really was perfect for a winter liveaboard trip to Turks and Caicos in about 79-80 degree water. 5 dives a day including a night dive. That much diving would have chilled me in the 1.5 mm. Glad I had the 3/2 Bare to switch into on day two.

Suit is comfortable and easy to get into and out of. So far, it's durable, although I don't use it a ton. Local diving for me is almost all 7mm so I use that suit the most, but I have a Hollis. But if you're looking for a good suit for that temp range I described, it's a great option for the money.

Back
Top Bottom