Standard DM gratuity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My view is that tips should be given for exceptional service - not just doing the standard job required by the boat operator. If all I get from a boat is transportation to the site and a briefing about the dive site, that is to be expected as part of the charter fee. However, if the DM gets in the water, shows me things I wouldnt otherwise have noticed, debriefs after the dive to review things we saw, helps with any equipment issues which may arise, interacts with the passengers before and after the dives and makes everyone feel at home and helps customers get maximum enjoyment from the dives - then this would warrant a tip.
A tip should not be expected just for the DM showing up on the boat and setting the anchor... After all, a tip is supposed to be a gratuity, not an expectation.

I do think it would be helpful if boats that don't pay their DMs would post something saying that DMs work for tips only. While again, tips should be a gratuity, at least customers know that they are essentially getting volunteer help..

standrod:
On our boat the DM really works...loading tanks/gear, helping set-up, fixing gear problems, rendering first aid, and generally being a help and guide, in and out of the water.

Marcus

See post #51

Do this on every trip and on every boat I've been on.
Oh yes in South Florida. Maybe I have not been on " Your Boat"

What is the Name.

Well, here is a note to the DM duties.

Me and a buddy dove a boat whose captain was acting as the DM. He owns the boat and so forth. Now, he had a friend of his whom dives with him on a regular basis, help with things such as casting off, load/unload tanks...you get the idea. But his friend was not a "certified DM". I asked Capt. who the DM was on the trip, and he replied, "I was.". So, I gave him me and my buddies combined $20 and I could see he felt a little awkward at taking it. So, my question in reference to this thread and everything is...Should I tip a boat captain that is acting as the aboard DM? Or would he be considered "paid" from our charter fee?

I personally think "paid" is the word, but I would like some opinions on this.

Mabye charter operations should add 10 or 15% to the charter fee, and say the tips included. ?

Diesel298:
Mabye charter operations should add 10 or 15% to the charter fee, and say the tips included. ?

But then it's not a tip. It's a charge that I am going to say many people don't feel obligated to pay. In most service oriented business, tipping is based on performance of service (but included for parties of 5 or more in some restaurants, regardless of performance). If a captain wants to payroll his divemaster and raise his charter rates to do it, then it is his perogative. He just shouldn't say the "tip is included". Which comes back to the point of performance. I have been on some boats where the DM actually helps the cpt. out tremedously, and some boats where the DM just...dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom