Steel tanks, Yoke valves, DIN valves and the lot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver:
Yea, try not to give anyone information to confuse them; and I would hardly consider it "nonsense". HP tanks still have as much, or more, swing than aluminium. They just don't go as positive.

And you're right about the Swing - but you also know that the most annoying swing for MOST OF US is the swing to Pos.

Sheesh...

:D

K

MechDiver:
There isn't really a LP tank anymore. The new tanks are just refered to as E8 Series due to the exception they were granted. You can't really call them HP, or they would have to have 7/8 thread and 300 bar valves. Excellent marketing on PST's part.
The E8 series dimensions are closer to the LP tanks they replaced, but lighter. The E8-130 weigh in very close to my LP-95s, but are longer like the LP-104s.

Totally confused? Me too. The HP tanks still have the same problems they had before.
Actually, that helped clear away the fog. Not too much confusion left on this.

I feel like Socrates! As I understand it, on his death bed he was asked what the most important thing was that he had learned in his life. His answer was, "All I know is that I know nothing."

Thanks for the help.

Christian

Mo2vation:
the most annoying swing for MOST OF US is the swing to Pos.

Sheesh...

K

Just trying to be precise and make you proud...

Sheesh who?

headhunter:
I feel like Socrates! As I understand it, on his death bed he was asked what the most important thing was that he had learned in his life. His answer was, "All I know is that I know nothing."
Christian

I thought the most important thing he said on his death bed was "Wait wait.... I drank what?"
:dropmouth

Ok, well that being said someone help me here.

In saltwater, I dive about 8 lbs in a 3/2 mil wetsuit.

In Freshwater I am at about 12 in a 7/5 mil full suit.

Ok to say the least, I am way under the curve of any Peak Performance class for weighting. Mostly muscle, little fat. No I am not a weight lifting muscle head, but I am in good shape and try to stay that way. (To give you an idea, my 7/5 my recomendations were to start with 24.) For my 3/2 diving I started with 14 and shed to 8, and could prob still lose 2 of those. My 7/5 I am still working on weighting for.

That being said, WTF kind of tank am I looking for? I know AL100's get to be 10 to 14lbs pos when they are near empty. Soooo Unless for the begining of the dive I want to over weight a ton, what the hell....

Yeah, I am starting to get frustrated with tanks and trying to figure out what to buy if you couldn't tell from this post.

Basicly, I am looking at tanks from an air and buoyance perspective.

:banghead: As an offer to the gods of buoyance I bang my head on this wall, somebody help.

CelticRavenVA:
I thought the most important thing he said on his death bed was "Wait wait.... I drank what?"
:dropmouth
That was all part of the same last few minutes. :wink:

CelticRavenVA:
Ok, well that being said someone help me here.

That being said, WTF kind of tank am I looking for? I know AL100's get to be 10 to 14lbs pos when they are near empty. Soooo Unless for the begining of the dive I want to over weight a ton, what the hell....

Basicly, I am looking at tanks from an air and buoyance perspective.

Generally, steel tanks are a better bet than alum because, when near empty, they go to neutral or negative instead of positive. This doesn't mean that you don't have to overweight yourself at the start of a dive, but it does mean you no longer have to add weight on top of that for a positive swing.

The offset is that steel tanks are expensive and require somewhat more attention to care than alum. HP steel tanks carry more air for their size, but that is sometimes offset by less than stellar trim qualities and the chance that all shops cannot give you a good fill. LP tanks are heavier than HP and that may allow you to remove somewhat more weight. They can also be overpressured, depending on personal feelings and the enlightenment of shop personel, to match that of HP tanks in most cases.

MD

I am starting to think that I need to stay with an AL 80 or perhaps a 100 for personal tanks. If I shed weight, I will be diving with almost none in the tropics or flordia. Hmmm ok I will have to think on this... there is alot more to this then I thought....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom