Steps to Public Safety diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary I read the link and all I can say is WOW. I thought it was written very well. Having been recently certified in my OW and starting with the Sheriff Dept Dive team on the 19th the artical really opened my eyes to things I never thought of. All I can do is my best and if its not for me ill bow down gracefully and hold those that do PSD with great respect. Looking forward to the advanced training and the challenges that await.

Check your local search and rescue, ours in Bingham County is volunteer divers, We get funding for training and alot of practice, its a start...

im a voliteer rescue diver with my volinteer fire dep. just keep in mind 90% of dives are body recoverys

This thread sounded interesting so I thought I'd ask a question.

This might sound silly, but I mean, what goes through your mind when you find the bodies? I imagine diving zero vis (which I have done a bit off, being land-locked and all) your chances of coming literally face to face with a decomposing body are quite high.

Do you ever get startled by what you find or have moment when you're down and you think "jesus im going to be sick" or "what a day", etc?

Does desensitization affect family life? If it does, how so?

rbolander:
This thread sounded interesting so I thought I'd ask a question.

This might sound silly, but I mean, what goes through your mind when you find the bodies? I imagine diving zero vis (which I have done a bit off, being land-locked and all) your chances of coming literally face to face with a decomposing body are quite high.

Do you ever get startled by what you find or have moment when you're down and you think "jesus im going to be sick" or "what a day", etc?

I recovered my first body the first month I was on the team in 1998. It was a 12 year old boy in 10 ffw in a swim area at a local lake. Vis was 6-7" (yes inches) at best. I was partnered up with another FNG and after 15 minutes of swiming and thinking, "there's someone else in here besides me", I ran smack dab into the little fella. Once that happened, training took over. I deployed the marked bouy and tied it off, did my line tugs (we didn't used comm on this dive for some unknown reason) and waited for the 90% diver to meet me with the bag. We bagged him and surfaced him.

I just remember sucking down about 1/2 of a steel 80 when I ran into the kid. I don't know how I didn't swallow my second stage (pre AGA days). I do know now, that I didn't know then is I always question why these people didn't self-rescue. With that I mean why didn't this kid just launch off the bottom once he got there and resurface? I also realize panic, etc sets in and all rational though goes out the window.

Eight years and numerous bodies later, I am a little rougher around the edges. The family now knows to keep the questions stowed for a day or two after the operation. The most important thing is to talk to your spouse and let them know if you do need a certain amount of time to digest what you just did. Mine wonderful other knows I will initiate the conversation when I'm ready.

Debriefing with the team is the most helpful thing to do, I've found. You talk with your peers who have the same training, etc and don't ask the trivial questions. We debrief after every operation and it's helped a lot.

rbolander:

What I have found works for me is to sink to the bottom, take a minute, get adjusted to the surroundings, take some deep breaths to relax, get comfortable, and then start the search. In many cases, since we are in zero visibility, I close my eyes and depend on the sense of feel. When I lose one sense, your others seem to become become more enhanced. You are really feeling over about a 3' span.

As a team leader, this is a concern with the new personnel. You never know how someone is going to react in that situation. 20' underwater is no place to have an FNG panic I have known of senior members lose their lunch after a recovery.

Keys:
- Get comfortable
- Focus on the mission
- Remain calm

As far as family, I have spent 30 years in the volunteer fire service. I had experienced death in running EMS calls, vehicle rescue, fires, and drownings. I hate to say you become cold to it, but you do tend to become less affected by it. My big concern is my son is following in my footsteps, including diving.

Dan
Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom