Stop the Madness!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug,

I hope I can ask this without adding to the madness, but are you opposed to a bp/wing set up for recreational diving? Ultimately you will pick the rig that's best for you, but I just wanted to ask why you had set your sights on a traditional BC.

No problem, Doug.

BTW, a lot of those discussions veer off because quite a few of us use bp/wings for recreational diving, so it's considered fair game.

Good luck with your future diving!

Wendy,

I'm not opposed to the BP/W at all. It seems to be a great set-up for all levels of divers, and may well be the way I go from the start.

The thing is that every BC thread (and I think I read all of them today - it's raining outside) degrades into the same argument. It's probably more annoying to someone looking to research a particular BC than to anyone else. I'm saying there are people out there (not me - I'm too new to this to make educated decisions about equipment) who use BC's and will continue to use them.

I posted this thread as someone new to the board who wants to dive more and do it the right. When the discussions deteriorate and become repetitive the way many of the BP/W ones have, it drives people away who otherwise would have learned from experienced people like yourself. This, IMHO, is bad for them, the sport, and the other divers the may endanger.

Like I said I was just wondering cuz I coudln't tell how you felt from your first post up there. But I don't think bp/wings needs its own section, afterall it is a type of BC. Also in the past couple of months I think that bp/wings have been mentioned a lot less than they have in that past. In the past every BC thread was hijacked. I usually don't (I dno't think I have) hijacked a thread when someone asked specifically about a certain bc, but if its a general "what type kit should I get" I have suggested a bp/wing set up. I am one of those that thinkits good for both rec and tech diving. All I have to do is change wings and my set up is the same for my ow diving and my cave diving. And I only give advise based on my own personal diving, if I haven;t dine it, I can't very welll give advise on it.

Sometime I think we should have a section for cyberdivers - those that talk a good deal about something but have no hands on experience actually doing it.

Doug - where in florida are you located? (your profile is vague...hint hint) We are doing a Venice dive next month, you are welcome to join us.

I have two rigs. For taking up minimal equipment on the boat and having something that I can just "pull on and go in" with single tanks my ProQD+ is tops FOR ME. I used it last weekend wreck diving with steel HP120's on the Saturday dives (our dives Saturday were all about 100 ft. and we had the charter operator's small boat) and had plenty of air. It is weight integrated so I don't have to keep a weight belt. It has pockets, so I don't have to clip all my emergency equipment to me prior to going into the water and unclip it when I am done with the dive. None of the BP/W divers out of our shop have a BP/W for single tank diving. The space consideration is admittedly probably due to the fact that it is single tank instead of the doubles on my other rig before any one cuts in on that.

For diving below about 100 ft. in cold water.... I have a Dive Rite rig with Classic Wings, deluxe harness, and steel backplate. My tanks with this rig are dual steel HP100's. Again, I normally come back after four dives with more than enough to tick me off about having to refill over 1000 psi of air. (Of course, I cheated a bit and used my stage bottle at safety stops). It is great for deep diving. I need to clip much of what I will use on me anyways. It takes a fair amount longer FOR ME to get into this rig than my ProQD+, but I love the peace of mind that doubles give me for "serious" wreck diving or deep diving. Like many other posters here, "wreck diving" to me means poking around the outside of the wreck and peeking my light into nooks and crannies and not going inside. Oh, the doubles and steel backplate add enough negative bouyancy that I still don't use a weight belt. I rely on my drysuit as the second floatation to get me back up.

Both have their advantages, but I can see where for simplicity of using only one basic rig the BP/W have it right. I just like my set-up the way that it is and don't see the need to change what works.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it as you wish!

diverbrian once bubbled...
It has pockets, so I don't have to clip all my emergency equipment to me prior to going into the water and unclip it when I am done with the dive. <SNIP>

I need to clip much of what I will use on me anyways.
Just my opinion, take it or leave it as you wish!

What are you clipping all over yourself?

...but have you all tried a bp/wing setup yet? They are just fantastic!

:wink:
Welcome to the board, Doug!

using my Glide 2000 for the first time in over 2 years (in the meantime all be wing or bp/w) and really enjoyed myself. I was also wet for the first time in over a year.

Overall perfect for the conditions - good vis, single tank dives to around 30m.

Jonathan

I believe the point of this post was to make a statement that when someone asks a question about BCD's, the posting becomes dominated by people who over do it with advice to get a BP/WG set-up.

Honestly, wearing a BP/WG doesnt mean anything other then you are wearing a BP/WG. It is not the only game in town, nor is it the best game in town for everyone.

But that just my 2 bits after 18 years and over 800 dives. blub blub blub

We can't stop people from mentioning the BP/wing...nor would it be wise to.

Why if it had not been for one of those BP/wing posts, I myself would probably still be wearing a hulking mass of padding and buckles covered with numerous, poorly placed D-rings!

I can't even imagine such a reality!! :eek:

That must be the Bizarro universe. :eek:ut:

The board is designed to express opinions and share knowledge. If you see something that you don't like or don't agree with on the board, just ignore it.

I've become pretty proficient at ignoring those "This is the greatest jacket BC ever!!" type threads. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom