Stop the Madness!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I had listened when I was first told about the BP/W setup.

Instead, I bought a good BC (Aqualung Malibu) that was rated one of Rodale's "Best Buys" and "Best Values".

Then 8 months later, I tried a BP/W.

I sold my Malibu for a HUGE loss, and bought a BP/W setup.

I immediately dropped 12 pounds off my weight belt (six for the backplate, and six more because the Malibu was six pounds positive due to all that "nice" padding). My trim improved dramatically, which had the effect of also dramatically improving my SAC rate. Lots of good things happened.

If I had just listened from the beginning, I would be farther along than I am now.

Maybe, just maybe, people who continually talk about the benefits of the BP/W setup ACTUALLY KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE what they are talking about, and are GENUINELY TRYING TO HELP.

Question is, how many people are open-minded enough to listen?

O-ring once bubbled...
...but have you all tried a bp/wing setup yet? They are just fantastic!
:DI really, really, really, hate you.:D (I mean that in the nicest possible way!)

I've been diving since 1978, and I have two jackets. They work for me. Tried the BP/W, didn't care for it.
Al Chervek once bubbled...
Oh, this is the worst hat I ever saw. I'll bet you buy a hat like this you get a free bowl of soup. Ohh...it looks good on you, though!
(and a shiny new quarter to the first to answer, Who is Al Chervek?)

And the thread about not hijacking threads is hijacked, anyway.

Surely this exists on some other message board somewhere:

Post: Hey, I'm thinking of buying either a Honda Civic or a Nissan Altima. Anyone had any experience with last year's models?

Reply: You should buy a Ford F150. They're better.

It seems that BC jackets in this forum get no respect. (Is that close enough TJ, or do I have to mention Caddyshack, LOL?).

Those jacket pockets are handy if I find little things like golf balls in local lakes. I don't have any equivalents on my deep rig. LOL

Seriously, everybody has their preferences. Many like the BP/W and I can understand why. Many like the jackets, I can understand that. To each their own on this.

Let's try to keep this thread un-hijacked now. LOL

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

The board is designed to express opinions and share knowledge. If you see something that you don't like or don't agree with on the board, just ignore it.
This is the best advice I've seen here in quite awhile, "I think you're wrong, but instead of challenging you to defend your statements I'm going to show my disagreement by burying my head in the sand!"

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

And the thread about not hijacking threads is hijacked, anyway.

People get so bent out of shape when a thread gets off topic and I don't understand why -- I happens all the time in offline discussions! And just like in real life someone has to steer the conversation back to the original topic (provided anyone cares).

cornfed once bubbled...

This is the best advice I've seen here in quite awhile, "I think you're wrong, but instead of challenging you to defend your statements I'm going to show my disagreement by burying my head in the sand!"
...which is of course exactly what is this note is asking the BP&W folks to do...

And earlier, comparing a Nissan/Honda car versus an F150 truck smacks of someone who still thinks that somehow a BP&W is "technical" equipment, a persistant, naive misconception that's going to be as hard to shake off as it was in the 70s when other "technical only" equipment tried to break into recreational diving. The arguments are the same: "No one needs an SPG, that's TECHNICAL equipment!" "No one needs an octopus, that's TECHNICAL equipment!" "No one needs a BCD, that's TECHNICAL equipment!"

I'll give you a hint. There are some folks with their heads buried in the sand, and it ain't the BP&W crowd.

Roak

Actually, Doug has a valid point and it doesn't just apply to the BP/wings style of BC.

All too often, we (I'm guilty too) respond in a way that does not answer the question asked. Sometimes there's a valid reason, such as the person is very new and asked the wrong question or from the way the question was asked it is apparent that person needs more information.

Often, a person is trying to decide on a BC, they've considered and rejected the BP/wing option, they've considered and rejected several styles of vests. They are now down to 2 BC's. They are looking for info on those two BC's and those 2 only. I think it's fine to ask if they've considered other alternatives (in case they've missed them) but I believe it is helping noone to try to convince them they've already made a mistake.

I've dived with a BP/wing, it's a fine set up. I found it in no way superior to my vest.

David Evans,

"six more because the Malibu was six pounds positive due to all that "nice" padding"

I hate the padding too and won't buy a vest that has any.

Roak,

You're off base here.

" was in the 70s when other "technical only" equipment tried to break into recreational diving. The arguments are the same: "No one needs an SPG, that's TECHNICAL equipment!" "No one needs an octopus, that's TECHNICAL equipment!" "No one needs a BCD, that's TECHNICAL equipment!""

The term "technical" didn't come about until the late '80s/early '90's. That argument couldn't have been used in the '70's.

Walter once bubbled...

Often, a person is trying to decide on a BC, they've considered and rejected the BP/wing option, they've considered and rejected several styles of vests. They are now down to 2 BC's. They are looking for info on those two BC's and those 2 only. I think it's fine to ask if they've considered other alternatives (in case they've missed them) but I believe it is helping noone to try to convince them they've already made a mistake.

When you ask the collective for advice you get it. You might not agree with it and you might not want to hear it but you're going to get it.

I don't understand how explaining to someone why you think they are making a mistake isn't helping.

Drew

Back
Top Bottom