Stop the Madness!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think again people are missing the point of the original posting.

If someone ask an opinion on a BCD, regulator or whatever, it is ok to give an opinion. However, if a few people have already said,, "I dive ______ and they are fantastic", recognize that the advice has been given and doesnt need to be given 20 more times.

This is not telling you to bury your head in the sand, merely to observe what has been said and decide if what you have to say has already been said quite a few times.

As someone has already said, the posting about a thread being hijacked has already been hijacked. Ironically, the people who say that others should listen to their "experience" should also take the time to listen to the question.

Walter once bubbled...
The term "technical" didn't come about until the late '80s/early '90's. That argument couldn't have been used in the '70's.
I was simply using today's vernacular. You're right, back then it was "We don't need an SPG because that's CAVER'S equipment!"

Roak

Traditional BC has big pockets to put stuff in. BP/wings just looks way cool...Can't decide, might need both!

TX65 once bubbled...
I think again people are missing the point of the original posting.
As I stated in a PM to cornfed, if someone asks "Between these two jackets* which one should I get?" I stay out of the note.

But if it's an open ended question about BCs, or if the jacket* BC they're asking about has "Tec", "Tek", "Tech" or "Technical" in the name, you bet I'll be in there talking about a BP&W in the off chance that they might someday actually want to do some technical diving versus being the male equivalent of a snow bunny.

Roak

*Ok, I referenced a canine as well in the PM, but that's what's nice about a PM :)

roakey once bubbled...

As I stated in a PM to cornfed, if someone asks "Between these two jackets* which one should I get?" I stay out of the note.

I often get the impression that the two jackets in question are what the poster's LDS carries and they haven't seen anything else. Sometimes you get, "these two where rated very high in Rodales" This is a clue that they might not beaware of what else is out there. In such cases I don't see anything wrong with jumping in and pointing out alternatives.

If I where content with the selection and advice at my LDS I wouldn't bother going online for other opinions.

Cornfed

Ps For those of you that think this thread has been hijacked I've go news for you -- It hasn't been!

was the original poster asking about, again?

I wasn't asking anything. He was complaining about how BP&Wings come up in every BC related thread.

I'm not a tec diver, or a DIR guy, or anything like that. I'm just a regular ol SSI AOW diver [who likes to argue :wink:]. A year ago I had a regular back inflate BC and did everything by the SSI book with my PADI and NAUI buddies.

After reading this board for a while, I was convinced to give the long hose primary setup a try. I loved it, none of my other buddies seem into it. That's fine.

I was unhappy with my BC so I decided to give a bp/wing a try. I love it, and I haven't looked back.

Does this make me one of "them"? I think I get lumped in with "those DIR guys" and dismissed out of hand when I recommend the long primary hose or a bp.

I'm just an OW diver. Nothing special. But I'm still convinced a bp with a wing is the best BC you can buy, and I think that a long primary hose is the way to go. There's a reason those bp/wings guys are so determined... they're all mad impressed with how incredibly well it works compared to traditional BC's.

How about we make it criminal to mention traditional BC's on the forum? :wink:

Cornfed you were supposed to post," He was asking about the Poseidon BC"

To which I was going to reply," Oh, I can't help him then. I switched over to a BP/W setup and it is THE BOMB!"

Ba-Doom! PSSSHHH!... Thank you! Thank you!... I'll be in town all week!

yeah, I'm a smart@ss...I know. :)

concerning the Poseidon BC erroneously contained references to overhead environments.

I was the first to respond and made a comment that simply suggested the poster *consider* a BP/W for these types of dives.

Yep, I deserve a horse whipping for making such outrageous remarks....with this kind of reaction, you new guys may have to figure this dive stuff out on your own in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom