http://www.diveheart.org/

Stop the Sea Shepherd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He's endangering the human race? I'm curious what you think you mean by that statement. I don't watch tv but I have heard of the Sea Sheperd's efforts to try to stop Japan's whale "research". (What are they researching--what sauce to use on whale meat?). I mean ok, you don't seem to like the guy but beyond that--how is he "endangering" us humans?

Ever spent time in, on or over the Pacific? It's ridiculous to think it or any ocean would become so "protected" no one would be able to dive them (though we just might be able to mess them up enough no one will eventually want to). What are you getting at with this post--trolling for cetaceans mayhap? // ww

I don't watch TV, but I've seen the video of him losing his protest ship. He runs perilously close to the whaling ship, then blames the whaling ship for his loss due to a collision. It sure looks to me like he played a game of chicken with a large boat and lost. Regardless of the whaling issue, he has no right to intentionally endanger the lives of his entire crew. If he wants to commit suicide, then he should do it alone. There is no animal life that is more important than a human life.

I don't watch TV, but I've seen the video of him losing his protest ship. He runs perilously close to the whaling ship, then blames the whaling ship for his loss due to a collision. It sure looks to me like he played a game of chicken with a large boat and lost. Regardless of the whaling issue, he has no right to intentionally endanger the lives of his entire crew. If he wants to commit suicide, then he should do it alone. There is no animal life that is more important than a human life.

How about you check out their web site before sounding off especially since you don't watch the show.

The crew is all volunteer and it isn't easy to get on the crew. They don't hide any of the possible dangers.

Crewing at Sea - Sea Shepherd

You say their is no animal life that is more important that human life? We are all part of the same food chain. We are all interdependent.

They are a fanatical group that endangers people with grandstanding and sometimes illegal actions because they think they are right

There are many fanatical groups in the world that think they are right and it's OK for others to suffer the consequences because ... "the ends justify the means" ... or ... "they brought this on themselves" ...

I do not agree with ANY of them

Paul Watson is endangering the human race.

LOL :popcorn:

Let's see.... let's make a list of all of the people since the beginning of written history who were endagering the human race.

• (this space intentionally left blank)

R..

I read that he is considered so radical that his own wife voted him out of Greenpeace!

Not sure how I feel about his work though...the whaling industry sickens me but his methods straddle a line in my books.

Bob (Toronto)

How about you check out their web site before sounding off especially since you don't watch the show.

The crew is all volunteer and it isn't easy to get on the crew. They don't hide any of the possible dangers.

Crewing at Sea - Sea Shepherd

You say their is no animal life that is more important that human life? We are all part of the same food chain. We are all interdependent.

It's not that I don't agree that whaling should stop, but regardless of their goal, running his boat into the path of a whaling ship put the whole crew at risk. He didn't just park his boat in the path and force the whaling ship to alter course. He actively ran his boat into the path of a larger, oncoming ship. That act is reckless, not morally justifyable and illegal (in US waters, anyway). The first responsibility of every vessel's captain is to avoid a collision. It's not OK to disregard that rule simply because you are working for a noble cause. We all have the right to protest, we just don't have the right to harm people in the process. The fact that the crew is volunteer and know they might be killed does not change anything.

Last edited:
I read that he is considered so radical that his own wife voted him out of Greenpeace!

Ha ha ha... LOL :rofl3:

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall when he found out about THAT! LOL

Not sure how I feel about his work though...the whaling industry sickens me but his methods straddle a line in my books.

Bob (Toronto)

It's a tactic. Politicians can't or won't bother solving this issue so people are bound to take matters into their own hands. It's method running back thousands of years through human history.

Lives are put at risk and that's a concern but they're consenting adults. Some people are willing to run the risk for their convictions. It's the Japanese that are ramming their ships, don't forget. The aggression is coming from the whalers. Sea Shepherd is just being irritating as hell to them...

Frankly this is PR genius. The amount of money in damages to those ships is cheap advertising. he has the whole world talking about the issue again. What politican can claim that kind of success?

Results really do matter. The means to get those results can be debated forever but people will never agree. :)

R..

The first responsibility of every vessel's captain is to avoid a collision.

So you feel it is morally justifiable to whale?

How about following International Law? They aren't supposed to be whaling either. There is an international ban on whaling.

Anyway, you'll be safe if you stay in US waters and aren't whaling. He won't try to dissuade you.

The Sea Sheppard and its crew are simply doing what no country out there has the political balls to do.

There are two videos of this event, one from the point of view of the whaling vessel the other from another boat at the scene. the Japanese film obviously shows him placing his boat in front of the larger ship, and the other video clearly shows that the whaling vessel was making a turn at high speed and straightened it out to hit the sea Shepard boat. Watch both videos before claiming one side or the other.

Killing internationally protected whales via a loophole in the law that allows research is not right, we as divers should agree on that point. how you go about stopping a country like Japan that insists on this practice could be up for debate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom