http://www.diveheart.org/

Stop the Sea Shepherd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you feel it is morally justifiable to whale?

How about following International Law? They aren't supposed to be whaling either. There is an international ban on whaling.

Actually, I stated in an earlier post that I think whaling should be stopped. I just don't think it's moral to risk severe injury or death to a human crew in order to stop a whaling boat. I think that to place the life of a whale above the life of one's own crew morally reprehensible. I saw the video of this guy cutting off a whaling boat with his own boat. It was a suicidal (and homicidal) move. It may generate publicity, but it is not an acceptable means of proving a point.

I've seen his tactics and I don't really disagree with them.

There is an International Ban. That does not really seem to be doing much.

How do we stop a country like Japan from doing what they've always done? The reality is the Oceans can't wait till they learn. It will be too late by then.

Fear not, he isn't going to force you out of the ocean and into a pool

Besides......Mr. Watson does do some good for us :D

Artificial_Reef.jpg

I've only seen a couple of episodes and while I hate that the Japanese are getting away with calling their activities "research" I don't agree with the Sea Sheppard approach.

It was mentioned here that all the crew are volunteers and that is not easy not become one. Well I don't know what are the requirements but it looks like navigation, ship operations/rigging and boat handling in general is not part of the skills required and that is what bothers me the most.

My work takes place in the water (mostly open water) so I end up in many different ships, from big ships with a large crew all the way down to a RHIB with just the operator and one person to give me a hand. Almost everyone I encounter handling those vessels have a similar respect for navigation and seamanship, feels like even the laziest deckhand of a large crew (that was hired only because is someone's brother in-law) has more ship sense than the people in the Sea Sheppard.
I had to stop watching after I saw an attempt to deploy a RHIB from the deck with the crane, omg I was wondering if it was for real or if Curly, Moe and Larry were going to show up in the screen.
I support they motivation but their execution sucks big time, if they use some of their fund raised money for navigation and ship handling lessons their results will probably improve exponentially.

LOL :popcorn:

Let's see.... let's make a list of all of the people since the beginning of written history who were endagering the human race.

• (this space intentionally left blank)

R..

How about Hitler, Stalin and Nikita Khrushchev do those names ring a bell? Although I wouldn't say endagering the human race, they definitely endangered it, either through genocide or possible nuclear war. I think the point the OP was making was that he's a menace.

How about Hitler, Stalin and Nikita Khrushchev do those names ring a bell?

Of course I thought about them. Stalin was a regional phenomenon, so was Khrushchev, hardly a threat to "the human race".

I spent about a minute thinking about Hitler before I made that post and decided that he wasn't a threat to "the human race" either.

He was most definitely a threat to "civilization" as we know it (even more so than Stalin and Khrushchev), but anarchy, chaos and oppression wouldn't kill the species either.

Although I wouldn't say endagering the human race, they definitely endangered it, either through genocide or possible nuclear war. I think the point the OP was making was that he's a menace.

Ah. I see. Maybe I took it too literally.

But I don't see him as a menace either..... I'm sorry.

At best it's amusing. At worst, one or two people out of 6 billion will lose their lives and some politicians will make stupid decisions with no relevance to society because they think the publicity will help their careers.

He's no more a threat to society than I am.

LOL

R..

How on earth do you get from "he is endangering the human race" to "if this persists the ocean will be all protected"? Lots of people don't like Watson or Sea Shepherd, but you make zero sense in your little rant here. The man is against the killing of whales. How the hell do you get from that to "no men in the ocean, ever"? The man is a sailor, for crying out loud! Disagree with his methods, even his anti-whaling stance but at least make a valid argument.

He is doing 2 things:

1) Actually hindering illegal whaling.
2) Publicising the fact that Japan is whaling.

His tactics work, the fact that we are having this conversation proves that his PR machine functions. So for the 2 reason above, I support him and his gang of crazy volunteer loons.

Back
Top Bottom