Stowing stage bottle regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if you want me to pick apart your post and show you whats wrong with it and why it does mesh with DIR diving, I'll do it.... its 6pm on a lazy Tuesday evening, and I have plenty of free time.

I refer you to GUE General Procedure Technical Bulletin 091401‐001, Stage Management – Clips, for the real deal GUE stance.

I've thought about the double ender/ loop thing, but having to dig for a double ender just cuz a stage rubberband broke doesn't jive with the dives I do.

I'd rather use the double-ender as it's one less clip riding around on stage/deco regs to snag up and cause confusion. Finding a double-ender takes a few seconds (especially as I'd already have one on the right D-ring for the light anyway)

I refer you to both GUE procedure document which essentially says "Divers not using a clip must use two rubber loops" and GUE's Cave III instructor that said basically "These rubber loops fail a lot in fresh water, so you guys need to add the bungee loops if you want to be in my class" :)

Where can I find these procedures documents so that I can stop bugging you guys all the time?

Where can I find these procedures documents so that I can stop bugging you guys all the time?

Unfortunately for this one "GUE General Procedure Technical Bulletin 091401‐001, Stage Management – Clip" and other similar protocols, you need to be a member on GUE.com and I think may need to pay a membership fee to view it (I am not 100% certain)

I cant see a direct reference requiring DIN but I would be pretty shocked if students were allowed to use Yoke regs for any purpose in a GUE tech or cave class. Perhaps for classes with single tanks (Rec1 or DIR-F ?) but I am not sure about those, and definitely DIN for stage/deco and doubles (manifold)

Sometimes Yoke is "needed" for single-tank diving if one is traveling, and then I just bring an adapter if there is no other choice.

EDIT: Probably some of the material where you saw "non-compliant" equipment was older and may or may not have been updated recently

Unfortunately for this one "GUE General Procedure Technical Bulletin 091401‐001, Stage Management – Clip" and other similar protocols, you need to be a member on GUE.com and I think may need to pay a membership fee to view it (I am not 100% certain)

Alright, that's not unreasonable. I'll wait until after my Fundies class to see if I'm into the whole thing before I grab a membership. Thanks for all your (collective) help.

For Cave2, Danny required us to have a bungee-cord loop where the clip would go, and a double-ender.

I think the official policy is the bungee loop OR two rubber hose retainers (aka wheelbarrow/bike innertubes :)

Since the rubber retainers seem to corrode much quicker in fresh than salt, and due to the longer dives/horizontal distance covered, the loop makes a lot of sense in a cave, and is less critical in OW.

I'd rather use the double-ender as it's one less clip riding around on stage/deco regs to snag up and cause confusion. Finding a double-ender takes a few seconds (especially as I'd already have one on the right D-ring for the light anyway)

I refer you to both GUE procedure document which essentially says "Divers not using a clip must use two rubber loops" and GUE's Cave III instructor that said basically "These rubber loops fail a lot in fresh water, so you guys need to add the bungee loops if you want to be in my class" :)

Well, if we're going down that road, my cave instructor (who also happens to be a cave 3 inst...) explained the pros and cons of each, and I made a decision... You like loops, I like clips, Rainer likes nothing, and it really doesn't make a hill of beans of difference for 99% of dives.

The DIN thing makes more of a difference than clips, as does not color coding regs, hose length, MOD markings, and having a few rubber bands on there, and bending the SPG back.

Alright, that's not unreasonable. I'll wait until after my Fundies class to see if I'm into the whole thing before I grab a membership. Thanks for all your (collective) help.

No worries, I hope you enjoy the class and continue on the the "DIR" style of diving, or if not, then at least you get something useful out of the class skills-wise that will be helpful in future diving.

Well, if we're going down that road, my cave instructor (who also happens to be a cave 3 inst...) explained the pros and cons of each, and I made a decision... You like loops, I like clips, Rainer likes nothing, and it really doesn't make a hill of beans of difference for 99% of dives.

Sure, I guess you could use clips, but then if you have 3+ bottles, that's 3 extra clips that can get snagged, as opposed to a small loop of bungee and one double-ender on a clip (that you already carry) or in a pocket.

Rainer doesn't have cave training, so he's probably a bit like "limeyx before he got cave training" and hasn't had a huge need for it yet.

I've had a bunch of retainers go in mexico, so I can see the value of a loop/clip and the loop just seems to make a lot of sense, especially since stowing a stage regulator is not really an "emergency" procedure so you have plenty of time to get a double-ender out.

I would still dive with someone that used clips though :)

Why would inner-tube rubber degrade more quickly in fresh water as comapred to salt water?

The DIN thing makes more of a difference than clips, as does not color coding regs, hose length, MOD markings, and having a few rubber bands on there, and bending the SPG back.

Indeed. it's possible clips would have been fine too (the requirement was for some way to stow the second stage with bungee loop being the highly preferred way of doing it, read into that what you will/like)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom