Stowing stage bottle regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would inner-tube rubber degrade more quickly in fresh water as comapred to salt water?

I am not a materials expert, but the water in the cenotes sometimes has sulphur layers and bacterial layers in it. I don't know if thats it or not.

Couple that with the fact that the tanks are often stored in the sun, and when us "tourists" go cave diving, we are mostly using rentals which take a lot of abuse and having an extra way to secure the second stage when you are 2 stages back in the cave makes a lot of sense.

Clips look cool :) Half the battle, right there. Can't switch on the fly with a double ender, either :wink:

I am not a materials expert, but the water in the cenotes sometimes has sulphur layers and bacterial layers in it. I don't know if thats it or not.

Couple that with the fact that the tanks are often stored in the sun, and when us "tourists" go cave diving, we are mostly using rentals which take a lot of abuse and having an extra way to secure the second stage when you are 2 stages back in the cave makes a lot of sense.

Reasons #53 & #54 why I am a ocean diver only..

+1 on that! Even the bands on the non-rentals seem to disintegrate pretty frequently down here...and not just on stages.

Thanks Nick for the double ender/loop explanation...came up in discussions just today.

Anybody have a picture of the bungie loop/double ender setup? I've dived with Nick, but I never noticed that he had such a thing on his regs, and I'm having trouble envisioning how it works.

Anybody have a picture of the bungie loop/double ender setup? I've dived with Nick, but I never noticed that he had such a thing on his regs, and I'm having trouble envisioning how it works.

I will take a pic later. It's just a very small loop of bungee like that on the back of a light ballast, tied right by the second stage.

If one of the rubber retainers breaks, move the remaining one to the bottom, and clip a double ender into that loop, and to the top boltsnap on the stage rigging of the bottle to keep the second stage secure.

if one of the bands broke you could just stow it like they used to before they used two bands

You could. But it's definitely not as neat, and the hose is more prone to snagging, especially if the bottle is on a lease.

I also must have missed the "Great rubber band shortage of 1987" wherein we could only afford one per bottle ... got a link to that ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom