Student dead - West Vancouver, British Columbia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Straight from PADI -

AOW Diver - There are two required dives – Deep and Underwater Navigation – and you choose the other three, for a total of five dives.
PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Course

Deep Diver - Whatever it is, to scuba dive with confidence at depths down to 40 metres/130 feet, you should take the PADI Deep Diver Specialty course.
Deep Diver

AOW max depth is 100 feet.

There is also a lot of tech training that happens there as well, I'm sure I'll hear more soon.

sorry to hear such sad news...condolences to family, friends and colleagues....

I took my Deep diver course at that site. It always hurts when a diver dies and I find it even worse when I know the site so well.

Sad. I assume this is all drysuit diving yes? 130' up there has got to be cold.
About 52F (11C) at depth right now. Maybe 1 or 2 degrees warmer near the surface.

There's a gravel slope at this site which is 10 to 35ft deep and fairly slowly increasing. Suitable for OW divers/classes. If you swim out and around the point there's a near vertical wall which drops to 200ft+ and suitable for deeper classes or fun dives from the surface to anywhere almost straight down. Visibility is about 20 to a bit over 25ft right now. Hard to know from the article if they planned to go to 130ft or they dropped there due to some other issue.

Dove it wet a few years ago. Fun dive. But I was diving a rented 10/14. Quite comfortable.

There are two ways to dive there. One is from the beach area which is easier but a longer swim. We walked down the cliff and were along the nice wall very quickly. We just worked along the wall and never went deeper than about 60. Lots of cool stuff. But either way a certain ammount of exertion is required.

I am a local Vancouver area diver and have frequented that site often, probably have dove around 30 times at that specific part of the site known as "the cut". There is not too much information being released at this point about what happened, nor do I know anything myself (although since our local dive community is so small, I wish I knew who the diver was at least!!!), until the coroner's investigation has been completed.

Anyhow, the site itself is mostly popular for more advanced divers due to the strenuous hike down (and then up after) the mountain to reach it and because of the quick access to depth from the beach. You swim out 40 ft and then you can drop to over 600 ft if you like along a vertical wall, with lovely dives both left and right of the cut in the rock. There is a sloping bottom from the entrance, as mentioned earlier in the thread, but yes it does get deep very quickly but if you are diving at that site, it is usually planned that way as the beauty of it begins at around 70 ft. and beyond (cloud sponges, etc.) get bigger and better the deeper you go (I've been to a max depth of just over 140ft myself but have seen video of deeper). Most recreational divers at this site dive to around 110 ft regularly and then slowly work their way up on nitrox tanks to extend their bottom time at depth.

There are nitrox stickers on the tanks in the picture, so whether it was a deep class with a special blend suitable for diving to 130 (I hope so) or whether the diver was deeper than planned (I hope not) on the usual 32 blend, we shall have to wait to see. We don't even know at this point if one of the tanks pictured in the article belong to the diver, so really... we just have to wait and see what comes out as it does. As for temperature of the water here, yeah most local divers wear drysuits, I'd say probably 90 - 95%.

As for the friends and family of the deceased diver, as well as the instructor and fellow dive buddies on that day, my thoughts and sympathy are with you. :(

Back
Top Bottom