Student to Instructor Ratio!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c-monkey:
OMG! That is hilarious! ... and sadly... somewhat easy to imagine...

If what you say is true, Goofystan, then those students should report it to PADI, and they should have gone back to that shop and made sure they rec'd the appropriate instruction from a certified/insured instructor. Although, and not to start a huge debate, but IMO I agree with Ron's post- the skills you listed (bouyancy, not using hands) are something that ANY new diver must work on individually after OW class is over.

I agree not using hands bouyancy is something that is worked on after class. However, they should have had the basics down such as three minute safety stops (which they never did in class) underwater navigation, weight test and buddy assisting... I sent them the link to report the instructor. Some of the responses on here made me feel as if I should not have helped out my friends who are new divers. I have learned so much from other divers throughout the years and still do. My friends are going to Thailand with me next year to dive. I want to make sure that they are completely comfortable before going therefore we are diving every weekend...

Open water lessons here for basic course is 1:2 (one instructor to 2 students).

goofystan:
Sorry, I am not one of these divers that has a Big Head with the need to dominate others. You are quite dramatic. By your response given it appears that you have an inferiority complex. You should keep your mind open to learn from the experiences of others....

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Easy, Bro... I am not in any way saying you did the wrong thing. For all I personally know, in fact, you may very well have saved someone's *life*.

I was just making fun of the fact that so many people like to sue each other nowadays. I truly was not trying to slam you. I completely aplogize for any offense taken.

--'Goose

My OW instructor didnt cover many of those skills with my class either, we never touched the compass or talked about proper weighting... I learned all that later (from other more advanced divers). I dont think anyone meant to imply that you should not give your friends tips and advice, we all benefit from that. Just that your original post was a little harsh ("any idiot can become and instructor"), and if the instruction they rec'd was really so poor then it should be addressed... by PADI and by the LDS... so it doesnt happen again.

goofystan:
Do we not learn from each other in the diving world? Have you not ever given someone advice?

In the old days, when OW (or NAUI "Scuba Diver") meant something and there was no such thing as AOW, this is how we learned - by diving with more experienced buddies.

c-monkey:
My OW instructor didnt cover many of those skills with my class either, we never touched the compass or talked about proper weighting... I learned all that later (from other more advanced divers). I dont think anyone meant to imply that you should not give your friends tips and advice, we all benefit from that. Just that your original post was a little harsh ("any idiot can become and instructor"), and if the instruction they rec'd was really so poor then it should be addressed... by PADI and by the LDS... so it doesnt happen again.

Yes, it was a little harsh huh? Sometimes my frustration comes out in writing. There are different classes of instructors there are those that speed through their dives and classes just to get the cert for the so-called "status" and there are those that have an intrinsic passion for what they do and take their time and do it correctly. I met a 22 year old Instructor this weekend who was bragging on how he did multiple so-called dives in one day so he would be able to attend the Instructor class. Telling us this while he is drinking a beer getting ready to go on a night dive hence my statement that any idiot can be an instructor...

Statement from my orginal post- This is crazy and it proves that any idiot can become an Instructor. Instructors like this make other Instructors look bad.

You're right, any idiot can be an instructor. But that's true for every job on earth. Heck, fill in the blank...."Any idiot can be a _____________".

Frankly, if it were me in that class, I would have been back at the LDS demanding my money back. I would also be reporting both the instructor AND the dive shop to PADI, and encouraging everyone who participated in the fiasco of a "class" to do the same.
Having a good (or excellent) instructor is critical to getting your OW certification....we ARE talking about the difference between life and death!

DiveMe:
Having a good (or excellent) instructor is critical to getting your OW certification....

....and, IMO, to the rest of your diving life....it's all about the atmosphere in those crucial early stages....bad experience on your first few dives- why would you go back?

Improving buoyancy and learning not to scull can come with time and practice, but I totally agree that this instructor should be reported for certifying students who failed to complete all the required tasks, and for not adhering to standards for ratios. The ratios are minimums as well, meant for ideal conditions. Certainly in tougher conditions, like here in colder water and low viz, there should be extra instructors and/or divemasters as well for safety.
I think it's awesome that you helped out your friends, who were after all, certified divers at that point. However, I do want to comment on your taking them out for a night dive. First night dives and deep dives should really be done with an instructor (not that instructor of course!) in an advanced class, and certainly not when basic skills haven't been acquired yet.
Perhaps you should consider going on to divemaster and instructor yourself? :)

This violates PADI standards. I completed a PADI survey for my AOW class, and they are interested in making sure their standards are followed as most of the questions were about exactly that. It was obvious the survey was not about customer satisfaction because not ONE of the questions I responded on was about my overall happiness with the course. However what they DID ask a LOT of questions about was number of students, number of Instructors/DM's, skills, and if in fact the instructor stayed with the students during the dives.

Obviously PADI is attempting to do their part, but if no one reports issues, then you can not blame PADI for poor compliance to their policies due to LDS's NOT following their standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom