Stupid Diving Ads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

They're doing it exactly as they think they should.

And the less informed folks reading the mags, or looking at the ads are probably thinking "I'm doing it the correct way, since the mag folks are experts, and I look like them...."

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

Well spoken. They are trying to sell something, not presenting dive skills. Geez, do you get this worked up when the guy powerslides his Camery across the 405?

First of all...I'm laughing...you haven't seen me worked-up. :D

The point here has nothing to do with the photographic or advertisement purpose...I'm in the industry...I know how it works. My point is that scuba diving as a sport has the worlds most pathetic examples of diving regularly exhibited in it's magazines and promo videos. Your example of the Camary powersliding makes my point even more clear...how many people do you see powersliding their cars? Not too many...not a skill too many can do without flipping the car or taking out some guy and his dog.

In the typical magazine article and ad or tv show/ad, the "extreme" is shown. The WOW factor is exhibited. The "I'd like to be able to do that!" is clear. In dive magazines and videos etc. the "hey look it's some doofus in pink fins with a dangling console, finning to keep his sorry butt from hitting the bottom, while dressed up like a Christmas tree." The actual articles in most dive magazines have photos which are just as pathetic.

It's like the divers are all refugees from infomercials who don't know how to seal zip-lock bags or cut bagels or dive worth a hoot.

bwerb once bubbled...

First of all...I'm laughing...you haven't seen me worked-up. :D
True.:eek:

The other thing is, are there any directors making vids that demonstrate excellent skills, that are not about demonstrating excellent skills? All the lush travel videos and what not have a couple of models that went through the resort course finning around looking pretty, while the dive masters are off camera, wincing.

Someone should make a series of travel vids with great divers. Except, most great divers don't like that kind of diving.

What are ya gonna do?

(By the way, what is your avatar? Looks like a Tie Fighter pilots rig. Is it DIR?:D )

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

True.:eek:
(By the way, what is your avatar? Looks like a Tie Fighter pilots rig. Is it DIR?:D )

Yup...Tie Fighter Pilot...kinda a tongue in cheek comment on DIR...

They fly for the darkside, wear all black, would look out of place at a "Star Wars Bar Scene" and are total adherents to Rule 6.

The only problem is the chest mount rebreather...totally not DIR...:D

Nice website by the way.

As I've said before, it's people that don't know to dive teaching people that don't know how to dive to become instructors and they go on to teach even more people that don't know how to dive.

And some of THOSE people become models, photographers and magazine editors.

The only way those picutres could possibly make it into magazines is that throughout the selection process, every step of the way, no one looking at the picture sees anything amiss.

The car ad equaliavelent would be the slow motion [insert favorite car here] doing a power slide with a seatbelt closed in the door, hanging outside and flapping around...

Roak

For the 60 or so So-Cal'rs here, take a look at the model the next time you see the Sport Chalet trailer.
No... don't look at those... look at her right hand... holding herself on the coral.

...but look closely at some of the photos that are bugging you, see what the add is for, and see if every little piece hanging off isn't made by the principle manufacturer who is paying for the ad.

And the other thing is, a lot of divers really couldn't care less.

RichLockyer once bubbled...
For the 60 or so So-Cal'rs here, take a look at the model the next time you see the Sport Chalet trailer.
No... don't look at those... look at her right hand... holding herself on the coral.

And that footage was stock that they bought, I believe. Not shot just for them.

ok, forget the adds. Look at the trianing videos.

Around Christmas time I heard a radio ad from a local dive shop that went somthing like:

"Gee, Betty. I can't swim very well."
" That's alright, Mary. This is SCUBA!"

To me, that sounded like a disaster in the making.

Back
Top Bottom