Suggested length of trip to Triton Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

I’m planning on going to Triton Bay in April 2024. Time off not being an issue and cost not being the most important, how long would you suggest is the ideal time to spend at Triton Bay Divers?

For some context/baseline, I am happy diving 14 days in Alor or central Raja Ampat while being land based and wouldn’t be bothered by more. Is 14 days in Triton Bay too long, too short, or just right? Any feedback on the diving as it compares to any other Indonesian destinations as well as any tips would be awesome.

Thanks so much!

Following. I'm thinking of Triton Bay as well and have been asking myself that exact question.

Are you combining it with any stop along the way? We like to do some topside exploring on our vacation in addition to diving and I'm not sure, what the best route would be. Maybe Singapore? Or Baliem Valley or Jayjapura? But then again the separatists did just abduct someone closer to the PNG boarder, so maybe play it safe.

Very nice video, Dan. Thanks for sharing it.
Thanks to Naucrates Underwater Videography for posting this video in YouTube for us to enjoy. Actually I saw it in an article about Triton Bay in latest issue (November 15, 2022) of Dive Alert Magazine,

Hi!

I’m planning on going to Triton Bay in April 2024. Time off not being an issue and cost not being the most important, how long would you suggest is the ideal time to spend at Triton Bay Divers?

For some context/baseline, I am happy diving 14 days in Alor or central Raja Ampat while being land based and wouldn’t be bothered by more. Is 14 days in Triton Bay too long, too short, or just right? Any feedback on the diving as it compares to any other Indonesian destinations as well as any tips would be awesome.

Thanks so much!

I am also planning to be there sometime in 2024. So I'm also interested to hear more about it.

For others who are interested in Triton Bay, @JohnN has answered @outofofficebrb question in the other thread: Una Una and Togeans Vs Raja Ampat

Lisa English, co-founder of Triton Bay Divers, also talked about how Triton Bay compared with Raja Ampat in the video, below.

I heard, from only one diver, that visibility in Triton Bay can be an issue. I don't know if this is a seasonal problem. Just a heads-up that thorough research on this is likely required.

I heard, from only one diver, that visibility in Triton Bay can be an issue. I don't know if this is a seasonal problem. Just a heads-up that thorough research on this is likely required.
In DAN’s article on Triton Bay (link is provided in post #5, above), it mentions the visibility range:

“Visibility is typically 25 to 40 feet, but water clarity can vary widely from about 15 to 60 feet depending on the particular site, the amount of rain runoff from the rivers on the mainland, and the presence or absence of localized upwelling.”

Like in Raja Ampat & Komodo, when visibility goes bad green or murky) we either start doing muck diving or dive elsewhere that offers better visibility. It happened to me back in August 2022, when visibility was bad in South Komodo, we just went to Central (Lintab Strait) or north Komodo.

Triton Bay seems to offer small & big stuffs (from Pygmy Seahorses to Whalesharks) in compact area, unfortunately. So, we may be stuck with bad vis for the whole trip.

Triton Bay seems to offer small & big stuffs (from Pygmy Seahorses to Whalesharks) in compact area, unfortunately.
I'll need an underwater camera porter to carry the Wide Angle when I'm shooting macro and vice versa :rofl3:

I'll need an underwater camera porter to carry the Wide Angle when I'm shooting macro and vice versa :rofl3:
Or lower your standard to GoPro with 55mm MicroMate lens like I do. So, when a nudibranch crawling in front of you, you just flip the micro lens over the GoPro, point & shoot the GoPro onto the nudibranch. 😜

88F78001-E38C-45F5-BFB3-8F43D87451B3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom