Suggested length of trip to Triton Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

I’m planning on going to Triton Bay in April 2024. Time off not being an issue and cost not being the most important, how long would you suggest is the ideal time to spend at Triton Bay Divers?

For some context/baseline, I am happy diving 14 days in Alor or central Raja Ampat while being land based and wouldn’t be bothered by more. Is 14 days in Triton Bay too long, too short, or just right? Any feedback on the diving as it compares to any other Indonesian destinations as well as any tips would be awesome.

Thanks so much!

Hi!

I’m planning on going to Triton Bay in April 2024. Time off not being an issue and cost not being the most important, how long would you suggest is the ideal time to spend at Triton Bay Divers?

For some context/baseline, I am happy diving 14 days in Alor or central Raja Ampat while being land based and wouldn’t be bothered by more. Is 14 days in Triton Bay too long, too short, or just right? Any feedback on the diving as it compares to any other Indonesian destinations as well as any tips would be awesome.

Thanks so much!
Excellent choice. I was in Triton Bay late October/early November in 2022.

You won't run out of sites for two weeks @ 3 dives/day

Just a question you can answer in PM. Who was in charge in october?
I responded along with the other stuff we were talking about. :)
I didn’t take malaria prevention in Triton bay ( and nowhere in my 22 trips to Indonesia ) .
And in December I didnt find so much mosquitos in Triton bay ( I found much more mosquitos in Manado and Lembeh ).

Yes please join me and Luko in August 2024 !
Thanks for the info. I think the largest mosquitos that I've seen in Indonesia were in Lembeh.
Excellent choice. I was in Triton Bay late October/early November in 2022.

You won't run out of sites for two weeks @ 3 dives/day
It's so interesting how I've gotten responses from 7 days is plenty because it's a small area to 14 days is perfect and won't run out of sites. It goes to show that perception really is different and relative. I love reading everyone's suggestions. Thank you! Please keep it coming, hive! :heart::flowers:

@paolobl65 what dates in August? :daydream:
Not yet fixed ( it's August 2024 .. ! ) but usually can be the central 2 weeks of August .
Hope to see you again !
We keep in contact.
All my best

PS. if you like I can send you via PM the schedule of my next dive trips
.. just in case you are on the same way.

Climate in Triton Bay is similar to Raja Ampat, viz is a problem all year round and rain play a big role in this. Dec-Mar are considered better as these are the driest months in the year, also during this period the whale sharks are coming back to TB so you have the best chance to see them.

While most people focus on the diving, I'd suggest that you could spend some half-days exploring the jungle around TBD, visit the newly found jellyfish lake which is similar to those in Misool and Kakaban, and Triton Bay Skywalk, a viewpoint resemble Piaynemo and Wayag in RA. Viz in the Iris Strait where most dive sites locate tends to reduce dramatically in the afternoon, so 3rd dive of the day usually arranged as muck dive and land activities could be good alternatives. I'm sure you won't run out of things to do in 14 days both below and above water.

I've been to Raja Aampat 3 times (2 liveaboards, 1 resort), and would rate TB over RA in terms of the overall experience.
Here is the brief review and video of my last visit to TBD in Jan 2020:
Triton Bay trip review

Climate in Triton Bay is similar to Raja Ampat, viz is a problem all year round and rain play a big role in this. Dec-Mar are considered better as these are the driest months in the year, also during this period the whale sharks are coming back to TB so you have the best chance to see them.

While most people focus on the diving, I'd suggest that you could spend some half-days exploring the jungle around TBD, visit the newly found jellyfish lake which is similar to those in Misool and Kakaban, and Triton Bay Skywalk, a viewpoint resemble Piaynemo and Wayag in RA. Viz in the Iris Strait where most dive sites locate tends to reduce dramatically in the afternoon, so 3rd dive of the day usually arranged as muck dive and land activities could be good alternatives. I'm sure you won't run out of things to do in 14 days both below and above water.

I've been to Raja Aampat 3 times (2 liveaboards, 1 resort), and would rate TB over RA in terms of the overall experience.
Here is the brief review and video of my last visit to TBD in Jan 2020:
Triton Bay trip review
Hi, Ran!

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm very familiar with RA weather and viz so this is helpful. Unfortunately, I can never travel between December to March with my current job so I will be going April bleeding into a bit of May.

I've always wanted to get into a jellyfish lake and take some cool photos. Thanks for the tip on the TB Skywalk; it sounds great! I appreciate your feedback comparing RA vs TB. I'm really excited!

I actually saw your vide on YT before you shared it here and it's great! It makes me want a drone. :daydream: It's so well-edited and beautiful. I'm so glad to see you on here. Admittedly, I was curious about other videos you may have made and enjoyed the other 2 but was bummed that there were not more and even more recent videos. I'm a fan! :) Keep up the great work!

Thanks for posting this. I’ve been on White Manta to Sangalaki last August. It’s a good boat!

I’m going to ask Max Hand for White Manta 2025 schedule as their online available schedule is only for 2023 & 2024, White Manta Diving - Schedules & Rates for New White Manta
Well, no reply from Max. Fortunately Tim Rock has some spots for Trton Bay - Fak Fak - Misool on Pindito from 10 to 21 of March, 2025. So we booked 3 spots.

We may fly to Kaimana few days earlier & stay in Triton Bay Divers (TBD) before boarding on Pindito. Plan to check rooms availability in TBD later.

If anyone is interested in joining our group, here’s the link to Tim Rock trip:

Max Hand replied to me right before I sent a deposit to Tim Rock. White Manta & Bluewater Travel offer us a group discount ($742 off / person) for 10D/9N Misool - Triton Bay from 15 to 24 of January 2025. So, we decided to go with White Manta.

I posted the Misool - Triton Bay trip, here:

Let me know if anyone is interested. The more, the merrier! 😜

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom