Suggested length of trip to Triton Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

I’m planning on going to Triton Bay in April 2024. Time off not being an issue and cost not being the most important, how long would you suggest is the ideal time to spend at Triton Bay Divers?

For some context/baseline, I am happy diving 14 days in Alor or central Raja Ampat while being land based and wouldn’t be bothered by more. Is 14 days in Triton Bay too long, too short, or just right? Any feedback on the diving as it compares to any other Indonesian destinations as well as any tips would be awesome.

Thanks so much!

I would recommend two weeks for the first time. We just came from the Triton Bay Divers Resort, where we stayed for two weeks at the second half of January 2024. You can read my trip report on this site that I just published today. Please note that the resort offers a 20% discount for some days in April I believe. Let me know if you have any specific questions after reading my REPORT.

@Laval did you have any flight issues getting to/from Kaimana from Sorong such as cancellations?
They change time of our flight from Sorong to Kaimana, which was not a big deal. Also, on the way from Kaimana to Sorong they combined two flights into one, which was not a big deal for us as well. However, a group before us had their flight canceled, and they had to stay in Kaimana overnight, and then fly the next day. This could result in a big problem. For my next trip to Triton Bay in 2025 I will stay one extra night in Sorong (for a total of two), just in case.

They change time of our flight from Sorong to Kaimana, which was not a big deal. Also, on the way from Kaimana to Sorong they combined two flights into one, which was not a big deal for us as well. However, a group before us had their flight canceled, and they had to stay in Kaimana overnight, and then fly the next day. This could result in a big problem. For my next trip to Triton Bay in 2025 I will stay one extra night in Sorong (for a total of two), just in case.

Were they flying on Saturdays, Wednesdays, or another day? I am a bit worried about canceled flights because it’s a daily schedule but it doesn’t fly everyday based on flight history on FlightAware. Canceled flights are usually covered for trip interruption if there’s a covered reason but not usually for not enough people to justify running the flight, if that’s their reason. Missing prepaid days at a resort is such a huge bummer over that if so. No travel insurance would cover that reason….

Were they flying on Saturdays, Wednesdays, or another day? I am a bit worried about canceled flights because it’s a daily schedule but it doesn’t fly everyday based on flight history on FlightAware. Canceled flights are usually covered for trip interruption if there’s a covered reason but not usually for not enough people to justify running the flight, if that’s their reason. Missing prepaid days at a resort is such a huge bummer over that if so. No travel insurance would cover that reason….
I agree, but this is a common problem with remote locations in those countries. That is why I recommend arriving to Kaimana one day earlier, and allow for one extra night (for a total of two) in Sorong on a way back. This approach will minimize potential problem with local flights to the minimum. This is what I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom