Suggestions for Caribbean Dive Vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for my pedantry here but Belize's international airport is near Ladyville.

Sorry for calling the Ladyville airport Belize City. My excuse is that United Airlines makes the same mistake and I merely followed their lead.

Okay, decided on Cozumel. Now investigating Dive Operators. There are a million in Cozumel, many with very good ratings. Visited about a dozen Dive Operator web pages and not one provided information on the size boats they use or where the pick up/leave port. Seems ridiculous that I need to contact each dive op and ask what I consider basic information that should be on their web site.

What's up with that?

Probably best to start a new thread in the Cozumel section.

I suggest you also start looking at the type of place you want to stay and it's location. Downtown, southern all inclusive resort, etc.. That decision might narrow down operator selection. Many good dive operators and competition in Cozumel. Bad operators don't last long.

You will get a lot of recommendations in the Coz section.

Okay, decided on Cozumel. Now investigating Dive Operators. There are a million in Cozumel, many with very good ratings. Visited about a dozen Dive Operator web pages and not one provided information on the size boats they use or where the pick up/leave port. Seems ridiculous that I need to contact each dive op and ask what I consider basic information that should be on their web site.

What's up with that?
Many of the sites will have pickup information in the FAQ's. From what I have found there are very few that pick up from town.

I think you will find Cozumel lends itself to a la cart trips; dive op., hotel and where you eat out each confronting you with a mind-boggling array of options.

If you start a new thread describing what you're looking for, people who've dove with give op.s may be able to make recommendations and help narrow it down. The better you explain what you're looking for, the better they can help. Some suggestions:

1.) How important is cheap in a dive op?

2.) How important is ready access to shore diving?

3.) Would big tanks, such as steel 120 cf & long bottom times, be a big draw?

4.) How important are small, fast boats?

5.) Do you want to stay in or near town, and walk to area restaurants, or are you a 'stay on the reservation' type and prefer an A.I. resort down south?

6.) If the resort provided bicycles to ride around, would that matter?

7.) How important is cheap in a hotel? Do you like luxury, or resent paying for more than you need?

8.) I believe Aldora has a boat at a different area they can use if the weather's bad and closes the main harbor, IIRC. Would that be a major selling point?

9.) How important is it to have an op. with a rep. for being especially newbie friendly, vs. putting divers on more experiences boats where they're not 'held back' by the 'least common denominator' (I am not trying to be ugly about that)?

Some threads to get you started on some options:

Blue Angle Resort and Dive Shop (a recent trip report).

Aldora Divers vs. Scuba Club Cozumel.

Scuba Board did an Invasion trip to Cozumel and I believe used Hotel Cozumel and the in-house dive op. Be mindful that op. could handle their large group; many op.s wouldn't have been able to. I've noticed Hotel Cozumel is a fairly popular hotel choice, though divers may use a range of outside op.s. Another poster has indicated if you book a cheap package with Hotel Cozumel that includes diving with the in-house op., you may be stuck with the slower boats, so be aware.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom