Sunnto Vyper vs Zoop Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving awhile but don't have a ton of logged dives and thought I'd come into the 21st century and purchase a dive computer :D. I like the overall feedback I've seen on Suuntos and my local LDS carries them. I saw the thread that was started about a week ago by runsongas and wanted to ask opinions from a slightly different perspective. To start, I am not a tech diver only recreational but like to buy once even if the price is higher as long as I am not going to over buy.

In looking at the Vyper vs Zoop here are the main differences that I see:

1. Price - Vyper $425, Zoop $300
2. Backlight - It seems you either like it and use it or you don't (sorry for stating the obvious!)
3. Guage mode - as a recreational diver will I ever use this?
4. Profile sampling rate - Vyper can be adjusted to have more frequent sampling rate to collect shorter intervals for depth/time/temp
5. Dive simulator - does anyone find this useful?
6. USB cable - standard with the Vyper and costs about $85 for the Zoop.
7. Watch alarm and calendar - not sure if this is needed.

So if I buy a Zoop ($300) plus the USB cable ($85) my total price is $385. For $40 more I can get the Vyper with some features that I might find useful - backlight, profile sampling and dive simulator.

I'm assuming that both probably have the same track record for reliability and ease of use.

I'm not interested on AI. I like using the SPG.

And to avoid the Shearwater and other higher end tech computers, I don't want to spend that kind of money. I'd rather get a drysuit or dive more.

Thanks!

The dive simulator can be very useful if you want to see what your computer tells you if you accidentally go into deco. The last thing you want to do if you incur deco is to wonder what your computer is saying and why the display is different.

So if I buy a Zoop ($300) plus the USB cable ($85) my total price is $385. For $40 more I can get the Vyper with some features that I might find useful - backlight, profile sampling and dive simulator.
If the PC interface is important to you (it isn't to me), then go for the Vyper. You may not use the extra features that much but for an extra 40 notes, why not?

Otherwise, the Zoop is a fine computer by itself.

The Zoop also has PC interface.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 10:48 PM ----------

If you don't think you'll ever need gauge mode I too would go the Zoop. I own/ have owned both.

I dive viper air primary with zoop as a back up when traveling. Zoop doesn't go into gauge mode. Vyper does.

My experience is now that more features than you want/ need are a good thing. Let's you grow into the tool as a diver instead of outgrowing the tool.

Given my current path, I'm saving for a pair of liquivision xeos.

Thanks all for the replies. I'm probably going to go with the Vyper. The interface cord basically pays the difference in cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom