Supporting your local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we have several LDS, and i go around them , one item here, one referal there .....

After all it's more of freelance situation here and it keeps the LDS in check . or is it the other way around ????

Im glad that there are loyal divers out there other than me and my wife. We feel that without the pro's, there would be net diving instead of real diving(internet). Like another Scuba Board member said," Leisure pro staff do not dive, theyanswer the phone or respond to emails". Keep on supporting. And just because the price is cheaper doesnt mean its going to be the best buy. Think of your life not your wallet sometimes.

Dive shops and West Marine are kind of like 7-11s down here, I go where it's convenient. There's one about two blocks from the house, another one out where I go to school and a Divers Direct about 2 miles away by the Bass Pro shop.

Support, not care, unimportant- I've never given it much thought, they're stores.

DennisS:
Dive shops and West Marine are kind of like 7-11s down here, I go where it's convenient. There's one about two blocks from the house, another one out where I go to school and a Divers Direct about 2 miles away by the Bass Pro shop.

Support, not care, unimportant- I've never given it much thought, they're stores.

I agree they are stores, but what I am buying may be a bit differant than in your case. I use my lDS for dive trip planning, training and equipmnet selection/ maintainence.

Thankfully, I have had good experiences with them. If I have had items that needed replacement it was resolved without dispute. As there are so many options as to what type of equipment is best for me, the dive shop has been a excellent resource. I see them like a broker. I can buy independently, but the research can be burdensome.

For me, I would certianly not have progressed as quickly or safely without the Local resources.

My rule of thumb is ... if an LDS supports me and mine, without screwing me and mine, they get my support. Support is a two way street. Post number seven in this thread is a great example of how it should work.

Unfortunately many customers and LDS's don't understand what "two way street" means.

My local dive shop supports me!!
All I do is buy stuff from them.
They repair my gear--often free and always fast. They help me locate dive buddies and plan dive trips. They plan budget-rate dive trips that I may join them for. They provide training--both official cert classes and unofficial dive opportunities with skilled and knowledgable divers. They provide convenient gas fills. They provide opportunities to buy slightly used gear through swap sales and referrals to staff who are upgrading items. I could go on, but you get the idea. If they make a little higher profit margin on my purchases than an online retailer does they well deserve it!

theskull

I support my LDS. I had a problem with my regulator and the owner of the lds went out of his way to make sure the product worked and that I was satisfied. I haven't seen customer service like that in decades.

Obviously the shop has to make money; the shop I go through seems to work on creating a relationship with their customers, whether they buy or not.

Cheers,
Bill.

Lightning Fish:
Obviously the shop has to make money; the shop I go through seems to work on creating a relationship with their customers, whether they buy or not.
Bill.

deff agee with you, that for me is something you cant get on a website.

I freelance a bit as well, we have a lot of LDS's in Orlando. I think i have hit them all, now i only visit a handful that dont get on my bad side. Fills are a moderate price in each of them and certain shops cater to more rec stuff or more tech stuff depending on what i need - they each have benefits, but i dont support one in particular.

Local Dive Shops are an integral part of the diving industry as a whole. Without them, the sport would not grow and we would not have more "members" over time. They usually get clubs and trips organized which generates more interest and excitement in the diving community. They are also usually authorized dealers and service centers for equipment sales/maintenance, which I think is very important. I support local dive shops provided that they are quality and ethical business operators.

I have issues with LDS's that:
1. push students through courses and basically sell c-cards
2. manipulate students and new divers into buying equipment that they either don't need and/or that is the most expensive = "best" whether is it the best choice for the individual diver. In otherwords, sales are more important to them than their divers.
3. Proclaim to "know-it-all" and badmouth "resort instructors". Remember, we do this full-time...and are very familiar with our diving environment, just as they are (should be) with their environment.
4. LIE to referral students and tell them they have to bring their paperwork documenting their dives back to them for certification. We all know that the instructor conducting the final OW dive is the certifying instructor. I can't tell you how many times this comes up either via e-mail before the student gets here or once they are here.

Rant off...:)

Back
Top Bottom