Supporting your local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My personality is pure loyalty to those I care about. Until just recently, every little thing I bought came from my LDS, even when the price was too high. I believe in supporting people who support me. I started shopping other places when The LDS started making me and my husband feel like we weren't important. After spending $5000+ in less than a year, we sort of felt like they took or money and are now finished with us. The ONLY thing that keeps me going in from time to time is My Instructor. He's fabulous and I adore him. Like me, he's a straight shooter and understood when I told him why we weren't in the shop so much anymore. I still buy things at the LDS from my Instructor so he can benefit from the commission, but I no longer feel the urge to make that LDS my exclusive shop.

gedunk:
Not that this is any consumers fault but this is the mentality that does not bode well for your average LDS.

IMO, there is no way your average LDS will ever price diving merchandise competitively with the average online store. LDS = low volume, high overhead .... online store = high volume, low overhead. It will never add up until your average LDS finds a way to defray higher overhead costs with something other than equipment sales which can be found much cheaper online.

Not a pretty picture if your an LDS. Personally, i'm very glad i'm not in the LDS business right now.

Buisness models are always changing. They have throughout history and will continue to do so. That is a fact. If I owned a LDS, I'd create a website and sell my gear online. That way you can reach a larger market and try to get your prices more competitive.

My LDS is a mega-glomerate. I've given them a ton of money, and they've provided a service in return. The employees there don't get paid to care if I keep coming back. I may go back if it's of some benefit to me, but support either way isn't a factpr.

Lightning Fish:
Obviously the shop has to make money; the shop I go through seems to work on creating a relationship with their customers, whether they buy or not.
Bill.
DORSETBOY:
deff agee with you, that for me is something you cant get on a website.
I would beg to differ there - I've built great relationships with a number of customers through my online store. There's a difference though between being an online "little guy" and a warehouse with a web shopfront.

I'm going to start a dive shop where the store help are hot ladies dressed in bikini's (think Hooters business model)........ The internet store wil have the store lady of the week on the front page. Recruiting suitable employees as we speak, please send resume with picture of you in your bikini. Our decision will be based on your work experience.

ShakaZulu:
I'm going to start a dive shop where the store help is hot bikini girls........ the internet store wil have the store lady of the week on the front page.
:25:

I only have one LDS close enough to drive to easily. The Lds is only a part time business for the owner and his hours are from 4:15 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. He will stay later if you call, or sometimes stays late doing other things, vis, reg maint. etc. His prices are pretty fair. He invest all of his profits back into the LDS and has a pretty good inventory. He has also been known to come out during off hours if he can if you call him at home. Do most of my purchasing there. He also services stuff he sells for free' you just pay for parts if warrenty doesn't apply. He'll let you try something and if it's not satisfactory he will let you return it.

ShakaZulu:
please send resume with picture of you in your bikini.

A photo of me in a bikini would not do your business model well. :D

OE2X:
A photo of me in a bikini would not do your business model well. :D
I second that statement. Even a drysuit with hood and mask doesn't help much. :rofl:

I posted my experience about a horrible LDS that has monopolized in my area.

Don’t worry about supporting LDS.
If they know how to treat their local customers
If they match the price or lower the price
If they are honest about their product and service
If they don’t violate the class standards
If they aren’t greedy and don’t rip off.
If they have a supportive attitude as a service provider,

Even though you beg us not to go to LDS, we will go there.

If LDS wants to hold their local customers, there must be some reasons that local customer should agreed on. Please don’t mention about an air refill or annual service. Are you living in 1980s society? It is a short sighted way of thinking for the scuba market. For instance, if you are fired, there are so many people who want to take your place. The same theory applies to the scuba business.

I don’t see any business survive if they cannot adjust their business to changing market condition. If you know any example, please let me know.

That is, the main point that we should ponder is not whether or not we support our LDS. The scuba industry should be more competitive and more prosperous to provide the better service. The scuba cannot be the hobby of wealthy people anymore. Like any other industries, a structural adjustment of scuba industry should be a natural process in the future.

So, please don’t force someone to support LDS. If LDS wants to survive in the competitive market, think, think, and think strategically how to run the business. Don’t blame LP, Scubatoys, Triple-L, Divetank, Scuba.com, etc…….. They just waste their time and become a loser soon.

If you aren’t sure what I am talking about, I am sure that you are the guy who never go to CircuitCity, Bestbuy, MC sport, Startbucks, Target, Wal-mart, Lowes, HomeDepot, Office Depot, or Staples becuase you have to go to your tiny local shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom