Supporting your local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharleyT:
Even with their new pricing, they are still higher than ST. Makes no sense at all to me. Charley

Is ST an online site? LDS have to pay a variety of local taxes that don't apply to the internet, they may also pay rent and then they've got their utility bills on top of that. Most importantly, the good lds will pay a good wage for someone to be in the shop who knows abot diving and dive equipment.

Scubaroo:
I would beg to differ there - I've built great relationships with a number of customers through my online store. There's a difference though between being an online "little guy" and a warehouse with a web shopfront.

That's cool, same kinda thing that people want from a good lds. From my experience though it is the exception to the rule. Also, if I'm gonna spend 3-400 quid on some new kit I personally want to talk face to face to the person selling me it.

DORSETBOY:
Is ST an online site? LDS have to pay a variety of local taxes that don't apply to the internet, they may also pay rent and then they've got their utility bills on top of that. Most importantly, the good lds will pay a good wage for someone to be in the shop who knows abot diving and dive equipment.

I believe that even online sites still pay most taxes, rent and utility bills and many do have qualified customer attendance services.
Where I believe they win is on volume which reduces their overheads as a percentage and they can normally locate their warehouses and logistics in cheaper low rent zones.

The keyword here is SERVICE! This is where your LDS can make a difference. Mine unfortunately just sells stuff and don't offer ANY service, so I don't care to support them any more than web shopps...

Agreed, any lds needs to have good service, another point though, if people dont support their lds then whee will they get their fills for their tanks for example? ow many divers have their own compessor? Cant do that on the internet and an lds cant survive on the money from fills alone.

DORSETBOY:
That's cool, same kinda thing that people want from a good lds. From my experience though it is the exception to the rule. Also, if I'm gonna spend 3-400 quid on some new kit I personally want to talk face to face to the person selling me it.
One of the reasons I've got a booth at the OZTeK4 show in Sydney in March - to put a face to the phonecalls. I've met quite a number of my customers face-to-face actually already - heck, I even delivered one guy's order to his doorstep on Christmas Eve last year in another state :eyebrow: (well I was in town visiting family).

GW Diver:
I would like to find out everyones feeling on supporting their local dive shop. Do people not care or is it important?

I do, because of the friendship and service they provide.

Not because I feel obligated to.

I also buy from the net, primarily things the LDS doesn't stock, that I preffer.

I support my LDS whenever I can. They also support me when I need things. It's a 2 way street.

One example: I normally service my own regs. I actually enjoy doing it. I learned recently from someone involved with my LDS that things were very quiet business-wise there. Instead of doing my own reg service this year, I dropped them off to the LDS. They know I service my regs, and were VERY appreciative of the business. I was happy to help them, and it will work both ways down the road.

Sometimes the savings you get will cost you more in the long run, and sometimes the small price you pay will be the best discount you ever received.

Scubaroo:
I even delivered one guy's order to his doorstep on Christmas Eve last year in another state :eyebrow: (well I was in town visiting family).

that's deff great service, good to see.

No offense to the online guys as i appreciate and use online options plenty but its not the same thing IMO.

A good LDS isn't just a place to buy gas, gear or training. Its a gathering place to meet and socialize with like minded people. A place to have a drink with buddies and tell lies after your dive or to talk about the next dive or learn about new sites or plan the next trip or to argue about gear, technique, etc.

Sure you can do some of that online (like on SB :wink: ) but it ain't the same thing as face to face IMO. I feel sorry for those who have never had a LDS like that. You don't know what your missing.

Before the internet, its all there was and it was cool if you had a good LDS. We spent major portions of our lives just hanging out like bums at the LDS. If we weren't diving, chances are we were at the LDS telling lies about diving.

The internet has changed that to some degree for most of us who were diving before the internet was even a twinkle in Mr Gores' eye. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom