Supporting your local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to support the LDS as much as possible. I work hard for my money and I'm not going to throw it away. The LDS is a business and in being so will try to make the most money it can off the local dive community. I'm a customer and I'll shop for the best buy. I recently purchased a Brand New Thermo Manifold online landed at my door for $150cnd. The exact manifold sells at the LDS for $399. Now why would I throw $250 away? With that being said I have also spent over $6000 at the LDS over the years. I do believe in helping the local business but I also believe in being smart.
JK

OK, Kennedydive, are you ready for the responses ????
"Can you get your tanks filled on-line ????"

Just thought I'd go ahead and get it over with.

One's primary fiduciary responsibility falls first with one's family.

The Kraken:

That's true, and you also have a resonsiblility to youreslf to stay safe with safe,good gear that comes from a reputable, authrozed dealer. You can buy stuff cheaper online, cheaper upfront, but it winds up costing you a whole lot more when, and if, it needs reapair and you find you do not have a mfg warranty. If buy stuff online you miss possible recalls for defective parts etc. You'd also want to buy stuff from divers, people that have used the gear they are selling you and know how it works from personal experience, no some schlocky business person that doesn't know a reg from a beachball. In the end, if you buy something from cut-rate places, online merchants and non-divers, it'll wind up costing you a whole lot more if anything happens to you gear. We all know that at some point something might go wrong. Stick with the people that will stand behind their gear and know divng first hand.

The Kraken:

Very good point. I fortunately enough have two very close friends who both have their own compressors (air tested same as dive shop) and we also mix our own gas. I ran a dive shop and know exactly how the mark-up works. In our LDS the SPECIAL you see advertised in the window of the shop is marked up 100%. If it costs $500 to land at the shop than it is a $1200 item marked down to $1000. As I stated before I do support my LDS but only when I'm not being ripped off. If the item cost $400LDS and $375online than I'll buy from the LDS. There is always some risk buying online and therefore you add that in the equation.

JK

Pilot Fish wrote:
"You can buy stuff cheaper online, cheaper upfront, but it winds up costing you a whole lot more when, and if, it needs reapair and you find you do not have a mfg warranty."

So, does that mean that if you and I both buy the exact same regulator, you pay $500 for yours at your LDS and I pay $300 for mine from an internet source that, after the nominal warranty has expired, you can get yours serviced and I can't?
Keep in mind, warranties aren't forever . . . they are usually given for a specific period of time and once that warranty period has expired one is responsible for the costs of repair.

"If buy stuff online you miss possible recalls for defective parts etc."

Does that mean that if I buy something from Scubatoys I won't be informed of recalls?

The Kraken:
Pilot Fish wrote:
"You can buy stuff cheaper online, cheaper upfront, but it winds up costing you a whole lot more when, and if, it needs reapair and you find you do not have a mfg warranty."

So, does that mean that if you and I both buy the exact same regulator, you pay $500 for yours at your LDS and I pay $300 for mine from an internet source that, after the nominal warranty has expired, you can get yours serviced and I can't?
Keep in mind, warranties aren't forever . . . they are usually given for a specific period of time and once that warranty period has expired one is responsible for the costs of repair.

"If buy stuff online you miss possible recalls for defective parts etc."

Does that mean that if I buy something from Scubatoys I won't be informed of recalls?

Often times the mfg will extend the product warranty period They did with me by 6 months.The big risk, as you know, is during the warranty period. If you don't have one you will pay a lot more to have it repaired. Also, mfg ask for a recipt and if you show you bought it from LDS, as opposed to schlocky online non divers, it won't be as much. Mfg tend to support legitmate retailers.

From what I hear ScubToys is a good outfit and are divers.

Just answer the questions, please . . . yes or no.

Keep in mind, warranties aren't forever . . . they are usually given for a specific period of time and once that warranty period has expired one is responsible for the costs of repair.]]]Kraken

Using your example: If I pay $500 and you pay $300 and the gear breaks down during first 2 years of warranty, I pay NOTHING to have it repaired and you will pay about $300. If mine breaks again they will again repair it at no cost, since the warranty pereiod was extended. If yours breaks again..............? I think you can see the difference?

Back
Top Bottom