Supporting your local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
3. Proclaim to "know-it-all" and badmouth "resort instructors". Remember, we do this full-time...and are very familiar with our diving environment, just as they are (should be) with their environment.

I have been known to stop patronizing certain shops because the owner and/or employees spend too much time bad-mouthing their competition.

The way I see it, if you have to sell yourself by tearing down the other guy, you don't really have anything I'm interested in buying.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I support 2 of my local dive shops. One I favor more then the other, take classes , buy major purchases, depend on for questrions and solutions. The second is more of a back up and special sale items or last minute rentals. But, I window shop at a lot of others. Basically because I am a female and love to shop and compare. However, when I find something at one of those shops I go back to my main shops and ask about it, get their opinion and/or buy it from them. Like I said those other shops just feeds my shop-aholic needs.

NWGratefulDiver:
I have been known to stop patronizing certain shops because the owner and/or employees spend too much time bad-mouthing their competition.

The way I see it, if you have to sell yourself by tearing down the other guy, you don't really have anything I'm interested in buying.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

EGGGSSSSACTLY :yl2jump:

I support mine with small purchases, but if they were competitive with the online business model, I would support them even more. I don't like waiting for stuff and paying shipping. I'd rather have something in my hand before I buy it.

ShakaZulu:
I support mine with small purchasis, but if they were competitave with the online business model, I woulod support them even more. I don't like waiting for stuff and paying shipping. I'd rather have something in my hand before I buy it.
I know what you mean. The LDSes in the Dallas area have to compete with scubatoys both online, and IRL. Some of them are having "sales" right now. Even with their new pricing, they are still higher than ST. Makes no sense at all to me. But I must admit, I do shop 3-4 shops, including ST.

Charley

I wish I HAD an LDS to support or just hang out at and look at all the cool new stuff.

I guess from reading all of these post that most of you have several (or at least more than one) LDS to choose from. The closest to me is 70 miles. I will drive that far to by even a small item, if she has it in stock. In return, I get fantastic service and treatment. I stopped in on a Saturday morning a few weeks ago on the way to a cold quarry. My 13 year old daughter wanted to dive with me. I asked the owner about a 7mil suit for my daughter to rent. She came back with a Henderson Hyperstretch and said "Here, have her try this one". She also gave her a Hyperstretch hood and gloves. After the weekend of diving I took the gear (suit, hood and gloves) home, washed them and took them back. When I went to pay her, she said "no charge". This is one of numerous little things she has done to earn my business.

Not saying I won't buy off the net, but it has to be one "whale" of a savings to do so.

ShakaZulu:
I support mine with small purchasis, but if they were competitave with the online business model, I woulod support them even more.

Not that this is any consumers fault but this is the mentality that does not bode well for your average LDS.

IMO, there is no way your average LDS will ever price diving merchandise competitively with the average online store. LDS = low volume, high overhead .... online store = high volume, low overhead. It will never add up until your average LDS finds a way to defray higher overhead costs with something other than equipment sales which can be found much cheaper online.

Not a pretty picture if your an LDS. Personally, i'm very glad i'm not in the LDS business right now.

I support my LDs becasue they support me. I help organize winter dive trips and my LDS tries to help me out with other things.

Some of the supplies are now lettling LDs use competitive web pricing to help the lds compete.

We have two LDS's, one of which cares about their customers and giving customer service. The other has run away more divers because of poor service and poor attitudes than you would believe. I guess its not too hard to figure which one I support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom