Surgical tubing for regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chebby

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I've heard some people bungee their regs on surgical tubing. What kind of tubing do they use, where do I get it and how to do it? Are there any DIY instructional webpages out there? I tried doing some searches but didn't find anything good.

I tried various devices for holding the regulators but nothing works well.

thanx,

Gene

Chebby:
Hi,

I've heard some people bungee their regs on surgical tubing. What kind of tubing do they use, where do I get it and how to do it? Are there any DIY instructional webpages out there? I tried doing some searches but didn't find anything good.

I tried various devices for holding the regulators but nothing works well.

thanx,

Gene

Trident sells this black stuff that is supposed to be used for either a pole spear or a gun or something... LIke I know. Its not too big, very flexible, stretchy - its perfect for a back up. Its like $5.00 or something for the thing. I cur off the ends and it works great. I've had to replace it once in the last 3 years - because I forgot to take it off before taking off my BP/W and it sort of broke...

One of the keys is to not only use a single Uncle Pug Costco zip tie to hold on both the mouthpiece and the tubing. Use a zip tie for the mouth piece, then just use another for the tubing.

I have hundreds of dives on mine - still going strong.

I've included a couple of pics for ya.

---
Ken

I prefer Boogie711 style because you can attach and detach the cord whenever you need. But, after the zip-tie, you have to break it if you don’t want.

Not a fan of those types of reg holders. A significant tug by an obstruction or someone grabbing for the reg could very easily leave the reg without a mouthpiece. A piece of tubing with overlapping ends and 2 zip ties or waxed whipping twine ties will hold the reg very securely but also let it come out with a good tug. I don't understand why DIR will ban so many types of equipment because of a one in a million chance of failure but have a reg be secured in this way.

Chebby:
Mo2vation, nice pics, thanx. Btw, you do it for your primary or secondary or both?

The secondary is on a short hose and it sits under my chin on the necklace - the primary is a 7-footer. It does the DIR wrap-n-twist and has a small bolt snap in it near the 2nd stage to clip it off to a chest Dring so I'm not tripping over it when I come out of the water.

I can't imagine ever taking the short hose back up (secondary) off the necklace - or vice versa. I use it all the time - especially for beach exits. I find it easier to clip off the long hose and breathe from the shorty when getting out of the water.

---
Ken

deadend:
Not a fan of those types of reg holders. A significant tug by an obstruction or someone grabbing for the reg could very easily leave the reg without a mouthpiece. A piece of tubing with overlapping ends and 2 zip ties or waxed whipping twine ties will hold the reg very securely but also let it come out with a good tug. I don't understand why DIR will ban so many types of equipment because of a one in a million chance of failure but have a reg be secured in this way.

A tug pulls the surgical tubing out from under the 2nd Uncle Pug Costco zip tie. There is simply no way, with rigged like shown in my pic you'll ever, ever, ever pull off the mouthpiece.

A number of times I've forgotten to take it off, and then I pull off my hood and the tubing just pops out (it tales more than a casual tug... more like a pretty significant "why the hell can't I get my hood off" move.) Its never come off while diving in the thickest kelp or rolling around on the sand wrestling lobster.

Its simply the best and most comfortable way I've found to get it on, off, and keep it secure.

What's your real beef?

---
Ken

What's your real beef?

---
Ken[/QUOTE]

No beef besides having a mouthpiece come off my own reg when I went to a bungeed backup. Some mono somehow snagged my secondary and before I could stop moving I was looking at my reg dangling with no mouthpiece. The tie was tight from the beginning. Second time after redoing the reg I was taking off rig and forgot to take off secondary first (duh) and same thing happened. Maybe my reg doesn't like that config. as well. Haven't had a problem since I started using a removeable bungee. But then again, there is no way it can ever happen, right?

Are we a little touchy or something? That time of the month?

Back
Top Bottom