Surgical tubing vs Bungee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this photo my sausage is stowed on the rh side of my plate using bungee.

The rear D ring is a good place also.

James
So can you remove it but probably not put it back in the water? Not that you'd need to.

So can you remove it but probably not put it back in the water? Not that you'd need to.

That would be correct. If I re-stow in the water, such as perhaps in preparation of boarding the boat (or just hand the dang mess up), I just wind it all back up and clip it off on a D-ring.

You can add a D-ring, place it on the back side of the plate where the webbing goes through, at least on my plate I can, and clip back there rather than bungee. In the photo below I have my dsmb clipped to an aft D ring on the right side. My roll up snorkel is in that (removable type) XS weight pouch.

James

That would be correct. If I re-stow in the water, such as perhaps in preparation of boarding the boat (or just hand the dang mess up), I just wind it all back up and clip it off on a D-ring.

James
Yes, you are absolutely correct, storing it after use neatly really isn't a need at all. This makes this whole thing a bit easier now. I like your stow location! Thanks!

I have been experimenting with stowage for a PLB and a DSMB that has some promise. I put each in a small fabric accessary bag, joined together by a bungee, and a bolt snap on each bag. The bolt snaps attach to D-rings on my belly band. The bungee goes behind my back about belly band level which holds each bag in tight between my wing and body.

The bungee stretches enough that I can unclip the side I want and pull bag our far enough to take stuff out and put it back in. No flopping around and stays tight. I have only used it in the tropics wearing a single but Covid as interrupted my cold water tests with doubles. YMMV.

You can add a D-ring, place it on the back side of the plate
That's how I do my fish floats smb's. But instead of a "blind" moving D-ring which is a huge pain in the butt to twist and unclip a double ender, I used Piranha's "Bolted Ring" that can not move or flip. Now it's very fast and easy. Also @Nemrod thanks for posting pictures of your rig. It's always fun to see a custom setup and harvest small ideas from it that may improve my setup !!

Bolted Ring link:

1660530403356.png

I jump in with spool and DSMB clipped to chest d-rings then transfer them to a “butterfly” D-ring on the crotch strap at my butt. I like having them where I can see them after jumping but out of the way when cruising. The double loop of the butterfly moves each clip to one side slightly making it easy to grab each to confirm it’s secure with a gentle tug. You can thread the crotchstrap through two of these pointing opposite directions to make a butterfly (or find a single piece double ring somewhere else...)

My travel plate doesn’t have a pad, but I also like stowing the dsmb inside the pad when using a metal plate, just as @crofrog suggested above

I jump in with spool and DSMB clipped to chest d-rings then transfer them to a “butterfly” D-ring on the crotch strap at my butt. I like having them where I can see them after jumping but out of the way when cruising. The double loop of the butterfly moves each clip to one side slightly making it easy to grab each to confirm it’s secure with a gentle tug. You can thread the crotchstrap through two of these pointing opposite directions to make a butterfly (or find a single piece double ring somewhere else...)

My travel plate doesn’t have a pad, but I also like stowing the dsmb inside the pad when using a metal plate, just as @crofrog suggested above
Seems kinda inefficient and annoying to have a system where you have to move something at the beginning of every dive and then move back before the next dive. I prefer to have everything attached where it belongs right from the beginning of the dive until it is time to use it. That way, when I hit the water, I only need to focus on important things like getting on the down line (in current), making eye contact with my buddy (if I have one), and the basics like trim, buoyancy, and propulsion, rather than (be distracted by) extraneous tasks like repositioning equipment I won't need to use until the end of the dive (or maybe ever).

Instead, I find it simpler to use a pocket, back pad, or pouch to store an SMB, DSMB, LB, (spare mask, spools, reels, etc.) where they are safe and easily accessible while remaining streamlined and not dangly. That way I can focus on diving until I need something, and then it's right there where I put it before the dive. In the past I have used pocket shorts, pockets on the waist belt, the Halcyon plate pocket, and Dive Rite plate mounted pouches at various times and in various combinations.

My current preference is to put all the stuff I may need into a butt pouch (designed for side mount diving) which I then clip to my butt D-ring whether I'm in side mount or back mount. This way, everything I may need is in the same place no matter the rig I'm diving, I don't have to repack this stuff into different pockets if I change suits or harness / BP or tanks, and I don't have to worry about it during or between dives (as long as I have clipped this one thing to the butt of whatever rig I'm using before the first dive).

To go a bit further off topic (from SMBs) but still on my side topic (not having to move stuff at the beginning and end of every dive), I'm not a fan of side mount divers who use loop bungees and then need to top clip their tanks when out of the water (like getting on and off a boat or walking to the cenote). This setup requires the diver to clip the tanks to the shoulder D ring on the boat, then unclip them after jumping in (just when they need to be doing several other things to safely start the dive). I find it better to use ring bungees so I can clip my tanks to the ring and the bungee automatically pulls the SM tanks into the proper position as soon as I go horizontal in the water. Same principle of simplicity as above, and also benefits at the end of the dive, as I don't have to remember to re-clip the tanks to chest D rings before climbing the ladder or standing up to walk out (as would be required by the loop bungee system). Again, this lets me dive SM just the same as BM (i.e. everything stays in place from before the dive stars until after the dive ends - no need to reposition stuff at the beginning or end of the dive in-water).

Not saying anyone here is "wrong" in how they do it but just that I know I am right about why I do it how I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom