Suunto And Bare: A Major Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Steve:
Actually he said.....

If anyone, pro or not with 19 years of diving under their belt told me they were doing an emergency deco stop cause their computer died on an NDL dive........

well..........nuff said about any percieved experience here.

In his first post on the board in June 03, he was talking about his plans to take AOW, EFA (sic) and Rescue Diver.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=315311&postcount=1

Let's see now...

In the OP's 8 paragraph post, 12 of the 20 posted responses have commented on this sentence:
subtle69:
All of my profile information would disappear and I would be forced to do an emergency decompression stop while doing a mid-dive RDP check.
Then, someone noted:
cummings66:
It would be nice if the OP would post back here, but it's not likely considering he's only posted 3 times in the several years he's been around.
Well guys, CLUE here - taking time out of your BUSY day just to POP him a little more about what he could do better isn't exactly very nice, especially when he related a story where he was only looking for a little moral support. And, if I was him, I probably wouldn't post back here either, especially when I was treated like that.

So, next time, how about trying to be a little more POLITE by staying on topic with the "intent" of the post instead of hijacking it into something else? Geeze...

Subtle69, if your still out there, GOOD LUCK with resolving your issue!

Peace...

I'm still a Suunto supporter! My Stinger got some water in it and started to pick random modes during dives. I sent it off expecting to be told that it was a write off, buy a new one. I bought a new computer in the meantime, not expecting the thing to be back anytime soon even if it was fixable. It came back six weeks later with a new button, new battery, new strap and tested to 100m (now the deepest dive in the history). Total cost to me, nothing! It has been working fine ever since. I'm sorry to hear that somebody else had a negative experience but my customer service record isn't 100 per cent either. I wouldn't want to be judged on the basis of only one experience.

ScottB:
In his first post on the board in June 03, he was talking about his plans to take AOW, EFA (sic) and Rescue Diver.

hmmm, very interesting.....

Things did seem to be a little funny now didn't it. No matter, we had a guy our way come on here stating he was a trimix instructor till we sorted his OW arse out :)

takes all kinds i guess :)

subtle69:
All of my profile information would disappear and I would be forced to do an emergency decompression stop while doing a mid-dive RDP check.
BEBARE!

If you were not into deco diving when the computer checked out on you, why would you do "an emergency decompression stop"? Why not just call the dive then and there, surface with normal procedures, and then revert to your tables?

This isn't rocket science . . . . (and, yes, I did used to be a rocket scientist)

Ken

Drewski:
Well guys, CLUE here - taking time out of your BUSY day just to POP him a little more about what he could do better isn't exactly very nice, especially

Would you rather we wait until he has an accident and posts there saying he can no longer dive because his flaky computer told him to do x and it was wrong? As I see it, when a person posts a thread any and all parts of his posting are open to questions.

In this case, it is clearly unsafe to be diving with and relying on a computer that goes belly up all the time. The very first time it did that should have been the last time, that is a safety problem and should be addressed for future reference. You do not cut slack when safety is at issue.

I.e. suppose he gets his new computer back and it's got a problem and he continues diving with it, don't we owe him the courtesy of making him think about the mistakes he's making so that hopefully he will dive safely.

In other words, if he dies and you did nothing to stop him you are responsible for it. So, I informed him that his lax attitude towards diving and computers needs a revamping. Can you honestly say that what he did was and is safe? Do you teach your students it's fine to dive with gear that's not reliable. I bet not. Hopefully when you see a diver doing something dangerous you take the time to explain it to them.

You can see from his posting that he's relying on the computer by his reference to the "emergency decompression" bit. That's why I posted in the manner I did.

I am not saying he's not a good diver, you can be a good diver and yet dangerous. I know pilots like that. They have excellent skills but make poor decisions. That's what I see here, the problem he had with his dive computer is the tip of the iceberg, what's below can surely sink your ship.

ScottB:

I got my AOW in 2002.
I have 17 years of diving experience.
Just because I went for 13 years without going from OW to AOW doesn't mean that my creditibility should be doubted.

The OP's point had nothing to do with diving. It was all about customer service, or lack thereof. Yes, I would think that someone who depends on diving for income would have at least one backup computer. But even if he did, that still doesn't change the fact that he received poor customer service.

As an owner of a Mosquito (my second one, and yes LP replaced it) , "I feel your pain" . After talking to alot of owners in many different countries, the 'reset problem' is by far the most common, and to me the most frustrating. When it works it's a reliable computer (although a bit too conservative), but a real pain when it does not. One would think for the money we pay for these things, that they would be a bit more trouble free!

froop:
I got my AOW in 2002.
I have 17 years of diving experience.
Just because I went for 13 years without going from OW to AOW doesn't mean that my creditibility should be doubted.

The OP's point had nothing to do with diving. It was all about customer service, or lack thereof. Yes, I would think that someone who depends on diving for income would have at least one backup computer. But even if he did, that still doesn't change the fact that he received poor customer service.

I agree with you... Some members don't get the point of thread... LOL~~~~:D

i think some people are just trying to say that the "dm" could've used better words to describe his actions and his history of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom