Suunto Cobra Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bubbletrubble,
I must have bought one of the first EONS in 1994. The manual has the o-ring size and hardness listed. Suunto have subsequently stopped putting that info in the more recent manuals. Since the only change has been the battery size, this would apply to Vyper, Vytec and Gekko as well. I will try and insert a copy of the manual page that relates to this. It has been uploaded as an attachment, never done this before, hope it works. You can cross reference measurments with BS numbers on this site http://www.nak.com.au/products/bs0chart.html Cheers.

Attachments

• Suunto-O-ring.jpg
    Suunto-O-ring.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 443
@JB: Very useful info. If I'm not mistaken, that o-ring should apply to not only the Cobra...but also Vyper, Vytec, and Gekko. I can highly recommend aoptec.com as an o-ring supplier. While you're at it, purchase o-rings for your save-a-dive kit and reg repair kits.

I'm curious, JB. Did you just measure the o-ring yourself...or did you obtain the info from someone at Aqualung/Suunto?

EPDM o-rings have a much longer shelf-life than the BunaN (nitrile) o-rings. Has anyone tried the 2-026 EPDM Shore 70 o-ring in their Cobra/Vytec/Vyper/Gekko?

In addition the same ring fits the old Oceanic Versa and Versa Pro.

JB:
Hi Bubbletrubble,
I must have bought one of the first EONS in 1994. The manual has the o-ring size and hardness listed. Suunto have subsequently stopped putting that info in the more recent manuals. Since the only change has been the battery size, this would apply to Vyper, Vytec and Gekko as well. I will try and insert a copy of the manual page that relates to this. It has been uploaded as an attachment, never done this before, hope it works. You can cross reference measurments with BS numbers on this site NAK Australia BS Series O Rings Cheers.
@JB: Your attachment came through great. Good job. OK, just one more question. How did you know that the Eon uses the same o-ring size as the Cobra/Vytec/Vyper/Gekko?

[-]This just gets better and better. The Eon takes the same o-ring that the Favor does. I've got a couple of those in my dive locker, too. :) It sounds like Suunto standardized their battery compartment o-rings. Makes perfect sense to me.[/-]

I'll definitely be adding those 2-026 EPDM 70A o-rings to my growing o-ring collection.

Thanks for sharing this info -- it's a ScubaBoard gem!

Last edited:

Attachments

• Part-no.jpg
    Part-no.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 772
JB:
But there is the full evidence trail, as I'm sure the prosecutor will find compelling. Safe diving.
John, I must be brain-dead. You're absolutely correct and I believe I was wrong when I stated in a previous post that the Favor should take the same o-ring.

As you stated, a "full evidence trail" exists. A quick look at a recent Aqualung Spare Parts Catalog will reveal that the Eon/Favor Air Lux/Cobra/Vyper/Vytec/Gekko all use the same o-ring (current part #413127).
Interestingly, the Solution Series/Favor/Fusion/Companion uses a different o-ring (current part #413118). Weird. I guess that my Favor uses a slightly different-sized o-ring.

Anyone have a current supplier and part number for the Suunto Cobra O-Rings? All the links listed in this thread are now dead. Thanks!!!

Anyone have a current supplier and part number for the Suunto Cobra O-Rings? All the links listed in this thread are now dead. Thanks!!!

I've used this successfully:
AS568A 026 from the O-ring Store here.

Their prices and shipping fees are very low. So, if you need great customer service, go elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom