Suunto Cobra Or Sherwood Wisdom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I have two Cobra's, one for myself and one for my wife. We're pretty happy with them, I have looked at others but keep coming back to the Cobra.

It seems as though everyone that has given their opinion so far owns a cobra or some other suunto product which will tend to skew the responces towards suunto or more specifically the cobra. No problem with that as suunto makes excellent products, but I have another view. My first computer was the Sherwood Wisdom and I love it. Large display, many different settings and functions, nitrox compatible, all in all a very customizable computer for whatever kind of diving you may be doing. Now I just recently got the cobra 'cause I have to have a suunto product for teaching(shop requirement). Now I'm not complaining one bit. The cobra is an excellent computer and it does everything the Wisdom does. The Wisdom, in my opinion however, has two advantages over the cobra. First, the display is much bigger and is easier to read(this may or may not be a factor for some but I thought of it as an advantage). Second, the Wisdom has more user adjustable functions like turn around pressure, minimum ascent pressure, and end of dive pressure. These functions are all adjustable by the user where as the cobra does not allow the user to adjust these and even has one less function(no turn around function). Again, some may see this as an advantage or disadvantage. The Wisdom also has two buttons as opposed to three but I don't think that is a factor either way. I like both computers about the same. There's just a few fuctions on the Wisdom that I liked that the cobra does not have. This may be an issue for some and others not but you really can't go wrong with either choice. Oh yeah, the Suunto is the more popular brand by far and is much more likely to be serviceable wherever you go where as the Sherwood might be more difficult as far as getting service. Depends on where in the world you are.

Mostly due to the ease of operation while in the water, the buttons are large enough that I can still run through the functions even with heavy gloves on. As I do a fair amount of cold water diving (50 degree and colder) that is pretty important to me. Also the "Screen" is large and easy to read.

O-11 ~

Thank you for your well thought out reply, it's good to hear from someone that has used both products. The serviceability issue that you brought to light is a good one, the one LDS that we have here in the mountains sells Suunto - but I figure if the unit, or any unit - needs servicing, they probably have to go back to the manufacturer anyway... right? I like your points about the extra functions and ease of use/readability... both strong selling points. I think that I'm going with the Wisdom. All things being equal (they both seem like excellent bubble boxes), it has a few attributes that I think give it the edge over the Cobra.

All the Best ~

J

I'm not trying to change your mind here, I'm sure the Wisdom will be great. This is just a general comment (rant).

One of the infuriating things to me about computers is people who set all these "features" up and their computers are beeping all dive like alarm clocks. One of the things I enjoy about diving is the quiet and peaceful nature of getting underwater. When people have 10 alarms set their computers are ALWAYS going off. It's maddening.

So please, when you get your feature laden computer, please don't set all the alarms..

Thank you.. :)

PerroneFord:
So please, when you get your feature laden computer, please don't set all the alarms..

Thank you.. :)

Don't dive with anyone wearing a Casio Pathfinder because it doesn't have enough "features" to turn off the alarm! I hate alarms too. :)

Back
Top Bottom