Suunto Cobra Or Sherwood Wisdom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
I'm not trying to change your mind here, I'm sure the Wisdom will be great. This is just a general comment (rant).

One of the infuriating things to me about computers is people who set all these "features" up and their computers are beeping all dive like alarm clocks. One of the things I enjoy about diving is the quiet and peaceful nature of getting underwater. When people have 10 alarms set their computers are ALWAYS going off. It's maddening.

So please, when you get your feature laden computer, please don't set all the alarms..

Thank you.. :)
PF ~

No worries, I hear you and RHM loud and clear... more loudly than my alarms shall be.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to noise, especially underwater. I believe in the vacuus silence that comes with the serenity of that place...and the sound of bubbles - it's one of the many things that lets me know I'm still alive.

I try to be dilligent when it comes to time critical situations and keeping an eye on my life support equipment. The Wisdom has the ability to signal visually... if ever it beeps it will be to warn of a CRITICAL situation, the type that we all try our best NOT to be in...

Thank you [both] I appreciate the input and couldn't agree with you more.

Safe and Silent Diving ~

J

I've had both. I did not like the Suunto product, hard to read, VERY unreliable, falsely conservative, (which really means, it's lying to you) and the loading bar doesn't give you 'intuitive' information.

I have a couple of Wisdoms now. Much more reliable. More accurate information, which means, my computer doesn't limit group time and it is easier to read. I also like the nitrogen loading bar, a quick look and you have a relative idea of your situation.

Hopefully this is not a hijack, but I have a question. I am reading that the Suunto is a more conservative computer than the wisdom, but I dive a wisdom and my computer has always been the most conservative. I dive with people who are using Aeris, Suunto, and Oceanic. We always end our dive due to my computer so what gives?

Aeris, Oceanic and Sherwood are the same computer, made in the same factory, with the same programing. If your Sherwood is the limiting factor, it is probably because you are more of a 'bottom dweller' than your buddies.

I lead dives for a living (okay, it is one of MANY tasks) and found I could not afford to be the limiting diver.

Mark_K'ville:
Hopefully this is not a hijack, but I have a question. I am reading that the Suunto is a more conservative computer than the wisdom, but I dive a wisdom and my computer has always been the most conservative. I dive with people who are using Aeris, Suunto, and Oceanic. We always end our dive due to my computer so what gives?

I have owned both and the Suunto is more conservative in deep diving. The Suunto uses a different algorithm and will reward you with a lot of minutes upon ascending above 30 feet. The Wisdom's algo isn't that sophistciated, IMO. Shouldn't really be much different than the Aeris. Aeris is my backup computer and it would read virtually identical to my Wisdom. Another thing I noticed is that the Suunto will penalize you for too-fast ascents and going from deep to shallow to deep. Could be your ascent rate?

I have the Wisdom, usually I am down when others are going up because they are too close to deco?? I love it, everything is integrated. As far as alarms, you can choose which ones you want on and off. The quick disconnect has worked great so far...I like the Sherwood!! I have a few buddies who have suunto products and they complain that batteries don't last long??? Who knows, maybe they have fixed that now.

Been reading up on both of these computers. Seems my hose is "too short" for me to read my current computer unless I have "gage reader" lenses on my mask. It looks like the wisdom has larger readout than the cobra, the only thing I dislike is the harder to read Sherwood compass...

The compass on the Cobra is far superior. I have a wrist mounted Suunto. Yes, the Wisdom has a larger readout and a better warning about ceilings. On the Cobra, the NDL minutes turn into deco minutes and a little warning banner of "ceiling" pops up. Got caught unaware on the 2nd dive I made with the Cobra.

All of you have been great... the info here is much appreciated. I'm learning a lot and am grateful for the opportunity to learn from your experiences.

Mark, this may be a stupid question for me to ask, but is there a chance that some of the settings that relate to how conservative the algorithim is operating have been modified? As I understand it, the computer has parameters that can be modified to make it function much more conservatively than the factory defaults. I don't know, but it might be worth having it checked out. Also, if you and any of your dive buddies have the download package for your computers, you could compare factors such as individual breathing rates, etc. throughout the dive to try and get an idea of why your bottom time is more limited? Just a thought.

I love my wisdom, serial # 277. I have my bifocals in my mask but with the large numbers and open display,I can read them with out my prescription. battery life is awesome, I dive 75-100 dives a year and date my batteries with a marker on install,they are now dec 04 working fine, just got back from Roatan Fantasty Island
yesterday, 23 dives none less than 60min except the shark dive which was about 40-45 . I highly recommend the shark trip it was almost as good as Truk shark dive with the Oddesey
later John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom