suunto computer decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you sent an inquiry to Suunto about switching? I have 2 vypers and believe they can both be switched. Maybe this can be done with the PC hookup. I do remember reading that you can set the dive recording intervals only with the cable hookup and Suunto software.

The Vytec manual that I have was printed 5/2002, and the computer itself appears, from the serial number, to be one that was manufacturered within the last 3 months or thereabouts.

It has the unit selection option.

My Vyper was bought in July. It too has the unit switching option. Its serial number is significantly lower; I don't know when it was made. It may have been on the shelf for a bit.

The deletion of this option may be an attempt by Suunto to stanch the flow of units from the EU into the United States and protect even further their price fixing here, since in the EU this kind of price fixing is flatly illegal and the law is actually enforced over there.

If so that sucks.

Upon more review, however, I suspect its a model differentiation feature. The online versions of the COBRA and VYTEC manual both still show the option.

Perhaps this one of those "features" to get you to move to the Vytec, kinda like the RGBM50/100 switch?

(BTW, you can change the sample time on the Vytec from the computer - you don' t need the interface. Yet another difference.)

Why don’t u get your self a Dive Rite Nitek plus it’s newest one and it’s the same as stinger but there is 2 mixes in it. and its for the same price .
I think this one is cool

When I am not diving with my teenage sons while on vacation, I take the Vyper out of the console and place it in the wristband and use it as a backup/easier viewable computer. When I am videoing, I can easliy check my depth without moving the camera off of the subject.

When the boys are diving, I put it back in the console so I don't have to worry about them misplacing it when back on board.

Craig

MonkSeal once bubbled...

I haven't heard of such problems with Mosquito. I have one and haven't had any problems yet. Maybe you got a bad batch.
My wife has one too, and no problem at all, works great. I have the stinger and love it, looks great, wear it on the weekends - oh and it's great underwater too.

The size of the unit and the display makes it very easy to operate UW.

As for the selectable units, Suunto still have it in the specs. Mine, BTW, has this option.

Ari :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom