Suunto Computer's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am very satisfied with both of my computers. I have heard a few people say they didn’t like Suunto because they were too conservative. I was just asking what you guys though about them. I don’t really have a direct question. Thanks for you input.

I like the Suunto algorithm and the new Oceanics offer an algorithm which is very close to Suuntos, so the trend is towards conservative. Also there have been some cases of DCS diving within the guidance of a dive computer; another argument for conservative.

Adam

Many opinions on SB they typically range from one extreme to another.......

It can be problematic if you already own a jacket BCD, back inflate BCD, purge mask, split fins, non-hog harness, non-Goodman handle light, bungeed wing, 360 wing, non-360 wing, dive computer in other that gauge mode, octo/inflator, air integrated computer, integrated weights, anything that attaches with Velcro or buckles, etc......:D

Personally I like the range of opinions and information, it is helpful but there is always more than one right answer......:cool2:

Find what works for you and enjoy diving........:eyebrow:

M

I was just wondering about everyones opinion on Suunto Computers. I have the Cobra and the Gekko. I was thinking about getting the Vytec after taking Tech40. Does anyone have any opinions about the Suunto line?

Have used the Cobra and Vytec and have been pleased with both. I currently use the DSS bungee mount and a brass and glass pressure gauge. Have tried the hoseless transmitter with two Vytecs and have been very disappointed with performance (failure to link and re-link). Am, however, very happy with Vytec wrist unit and separate gauge.

I think the general view of Suuntos tends to be that they make extremely good computers, but unfortunately they are very conservative, especially with repetitive diving.

If you go on a liveaboard and do 5 dives a day, you are either going to be hanging on the line for 15 minutes after everyone else is having a beer at the end of the day, or you have to lie to your computer.

Started with a Vyper then moved to a Vytec. I haven't had any issues with them other than they are super popular in this area. What I mean by that, is that invariably when I'm on a full boat leaving out of Monterey, there are 9 other people with them (being just a little dramatic). Be careful that your neighbor doesn't have one and your wrist unit isn't synching to their signal! It's happened to me before:shocked2:

Otherwise it's a great computer. One of the instructors I DM for is always looking for used units to buy.

I think the general view of Suuntos tends to be that they make extremely good computers, but unfortunately they are very conservative, especially with repetitive diving. If you go on a liveaboard and do 5 dives a day, you are either going to be hanging on the line for 15 minutes after everyone else is having a beer at the end of the day, or you have to lie to your computer.
Rhone, I'm curious about this statement ("very conservative"), as it doesn't jibe with my own experience. I don't have any stake in Suunto, I'm just curious, especially because I don't want to be recommending very conservative computers to my new divers. Could you expound or elaborate?

Myself, I've done several five-dive-a-day liveaboards with the Vytec (doing all the dives each day) and have never had to thumb a dive or get shallower for the non-deco limit. (Nor do I have to call dives for low gas. I'm usually one of the last to surface, back on board with a third of an AL80 left. I say this not to toot my own horn, just to make the picture clear.)

As it appears to me currently, the Vytec doesn't limit my repetetive dive time in recreational (130 Feet or less) diving more than do other computers.

I have corresponded with Suunto engineers occasionally over the last decade on some of the finer points and I know that their displays are conservative in a number of areas (especially oxygen exposure), but what you posted got me thinking that maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture.

Best practices always,
Bryan

I dive with two computers, a Suunto D9 and a Sherwood Profile. The Profile is a very aggressive computer, but it is 'air only'. That notwithstanding, if I do a day of repetitive diving on nitrox, I am getting similar NDLs by the end of the day on both computers. And that is with the Suunto is 'least conservative' mode. I suspect if I put it in most conservative mode it would make me do a safety stop every time I take a long shower.

Here is a table that shows the base air NDLs that dive computers work from. You can see that the Suunto is pretty much the most conservative just on pure single dive NDL numbers. But what it does not show is that the Suunto is also a much less forgiving algorithm for repetitive diving.

On the plus side - you are never likely to get bent if stay within limits on a Suunto. But when you are doing low risk diving, it is the metaphorical equivalent of having your mother strapped to your wrist.

Divetables.jpg

I had around 150 dives on the computer. It appears to be a problem with the depth sensor, Suunto is aware and is willing to give a 5 year warranty instead of the normal two year if your cobra craps out. HOWEVER, since I bought it online, and not from an 'authorized' dealer, they and aqualung both say 'sorry'. Can't really blame them, and I knew I was taking this chance buying online, but I saved a ton of cash upfront. The cobra 3 I'm buying is coming from an authorized retailer, so there should be no issues on that front.

I had around 150 dives on the computer. It appears to be a problem with the depth sensor, Suunto is aware and is willing to give a 5 year warranty instead of the normal two year if your cobra craps out. HOWEVER, since I bought it online, and not from an 'authorized' dealer, they and aqualung both say 'sorry'. Can't really blame them, and I knew I was taking this chance buying online, but I saved a ton of cash upfront. The cobra 3 I'm buying is coming from an authorized retailer, so there should be no issues on that front.
@Starcruiser: Hmmm. Did you contact the unauthorized Suunto dealer about your Cobra dying? 150 dives is not very many. I would think that the dealer could do something to help make up for the computer crapping out like that. Perhaps it could have been serviced and the dealer might have picked up the tab. Or maybe the dealer could have replaced it with a used/demo unit that was still working. You never know if you don't ask.

Did you purchase the computer from Leisurepro? If so, that would certainly make me wary of purchasing any dive gear for which the company wasn't an authorized dealer. I understand that Leisurepro offers a 24 month warranty on Suunto computers, but the company also states that for unofficial/unauthorized items the company will provide its own Leisure Pro Warranty which offers "equal or greater protection." In this case, if Suunto would have been willing to fix the malfunctioning depth sensor under warranty (had you bought the unit from authorized dealer), then I would think that Leisurepro would have stepped up to provide "equal or greater protection" even though it had been between 2 and 5 years since the date of purchase. At least that's how I would have argued it. :D

Back
Top Bottom