Suunto Computer's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been happy with my Vytec, once I learned of the resynchronization sequence. :)

My Vytec, an older model, also has an "Attenuated RGBM" setting (less conservative). I have not yet had problems with it significantly limiting my dives vs. dive buddies; however, I have not exceeded recreational limits or dove more than 3 dives per day on it. YMMV.

I have had the Mosquito for 7 years, still enjoy using it and have only replaced the battery in it once during that time. I dive both air and Nitrox and have not had any issues.

I had around 150 dives on the computer. It appears to be a problem with the depth sensor, Suunto is aware and is willing to give a 5 year warranty instead of the normal two year if your cobra craps out. HOWEVER, since I bought it online, and not from an 'authorized' dealer, they and aqualung both say 'sorry'. Can't really blame them, and I knew I was taking this chance buying online, but I saved a ton of cash upfront. The cobra 3 I'm buying is coming from an authorized retailer, so there should be no issues on that front.

I may be off here, but someone on the board suggested the problem is with salt forming crystals in the sensor. Have you tried soaking it overnight in warm water?

Adam

I had read that as a remedy, also. I threw it in my neighbors hot tub for 24 hours. Unfortunately, that didn't fix it. Ah, well, shot in the dark anyway.

No, it was an ebay purchase. New unit, never in the water, just 'grey market'. As it was 6 years ago, I really wouldn't expect anything from the seller. No, it was not leisurepro, I did check that out by looking at my ebay receipt.

No, it was an ebay purchase. New unit, never in the water, just 'grey market'. As it was 6 years ago, I really wouldn't expect anything from the seller. No, it was not leisurepro, I did check that out by looking at my ebay receipt.
Ah. Too bad. I suspect that Leisurepro would have been helpful. An Ebay purchase... Well, I guess that's the risk one takes with buying things used over the Internet.

You probably didn't spend too much money on it...and you did get 150 dives on it over a 6 year period, so I guess the situation could have been worse.

Thanks for letting us know what happened.

I am very satisfied with both of my computers. I have heard a few people say they didn’t like Suunto because they were too conservative. I was just asking what you guys though about them. I don’t really have a direct question. Thanks for you input.

I think the general view of Suuntos tends to be that they make extremely good computers, but unfortunately they are very conservative, especially with repetitive diving.

If you go on a liveaboard and do 5 dives a day, you are either going to be hanging on the line for 15 minutes after everyone else is having a beer at the end of the day, or you have to lie to your computer.

I have a Viper Air and really like it, but lately it has only been used as a bottom diver.
If it's too conservative, there are options to change the conservatism level. On the Viper Air it's under the Personal Adjustment settings.

We sure have come a long way since the Orca "brick" and the Skinny Dipper (auto flooding door) haven't we???

I have used Suunto computers for at least the past ten years. Every one I get I like better than the previous one. I used the Vyper and both Cobras and love the large display (yep getting older and starting to wear reading glasses). We have Cobra 2 in our rental fleet. Over the past 10 years having all of our guests use Suunto computers we have never had a complaint and never had an u/w failure.

Now we are using D9's and I love having a wrist mount especially as a videographer. I put it inside on my wrist and then I can shoot and still see the display. You have to find out who else has a D9 on the dive boat to be sure you don't have the same HP code and occassionally I do get a failure to connect from the transmitter to the wrist unit.

I do, however, agree with the other posters in that it uses a more conservative algorithm. That's simply a personal choice.

My Cobra (bought used in 2007) was fine for a handful of dives then it sat on the shelf for 3 years.

I put in a new battery and on the first dive (nitrox) it just would not seem to notice we were in the water.
Did not notice depth.. therefore did not 'start the dive. All other functions were fine. It registered tank pressure correctly and the date/time clock worked.

I reset (pulled the battery) and it did the same thing. Later in the day (I left it on shore) it just ran the depth to 400+ft (on land) and will not do anything else. It will not shut off unless I pull the battery.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Alan

Been working on my new Cobra 3, and have to say I love it. About my only gripe so far is the same button that creates bookmarks is used to activate the electronic compass. I think I've put in about 10 bookmarks already. You have to tap the button to create a bookmark, but hold it down for a few seconds to activate the compass. Other than that, easy to use VERY easy to read and a dream to download.

Back
Top Bottom