Suunto Computer's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both an Oceanic and a Suunto computer. The Suunto is my preferred computer because of the conservative algorithym used. I am over 50 and like it that way. I have not had any problems with my Suunto. I did speak to a dealer who sold Oceanic and that is how I ended up with it. Then I talked to a dealer that sold both. I bought Suunto:D.

I bought my Vyper and Vytec (wife's) because they were conservative. We like them a lot and have been diving with them for several years now. They work for us becasue, even with the conservative algorithm we always breathe down our air before we run out of down time.

Suunto's have had more failures and service problems than any other computer made. They are also one of the least user friendly and intuitive.

Possibly because more divers use Suunto than any other brand? I'm just speculating.

I'm very happy with my D4. I've had it for just over 100 dives.

Since I wrote the post above I've been thinking. Although my wife and I like our Suunto computers a lot, primarily because they are conservative (I am 60, but possess the cat like moves of a man 59 1/2, hehe) they are the only ones we ever dove with so we really don't have a basis for comparison.

But, I must say, they are not easy for us to figure out, especially when we try to go into dive simulation mode and other modes, but I just chalked that up to me being terrible at figuring out how to work electronics. I cannot program my DVD player and have a hell of a time twice a year when I have to reset the time on the clock in my truck!

But we still like ours cuz as far as setting them for air or nitrox or changing the mix percentage, and reading the display screen , they are pretty easy to use and our computers have never failed (probably jinxed us on that one now).

But if I was just starting out buying a computer I would check out a bunch of different brands and look for a conservative one that was reliable and had a big enough display screen for me to easily see.

Hope this helps.

Hi Johnny! How are you!! good to read about you.. - and dive computers! :wink:

Don't know if you rememeber us - Nikhil and Mathilde (Indian and French, based in Switzerland). We dived w/ you in Koh Lanta last Nov. - including in the caves with the funny wave coming in - nice memories.. :)

You're in Honduras now? how is it?

Hey, I was on this forum because I wanna get a computer for Nikhil's birthday. I was actually thinking of trying to write to you to get some advise...and here you are!

If u remember, Nikhil is an intermediate amateur diver; likely to try and develop his technique and level. Photographer. Very much into it safety; and into the information during the dive - of course; hence the idea.

As a person: he loves elaborated, technical stuffs - rather than simple ones; he'd probably love to connect the computer to his Mac; and he always sort of needs "the best" (...but haha...I know: what is it for his level and the range of computers I can afford?) :wink:

I was thinking of the Suunto Vyper; or the Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G [Capsule?] Or Mares Puck? (hope it makes sense... not so ure yet).

What do you think?
On what criteria/what are the main differences? (even if a bit more expensive...)
Other suggestion?

I'm also wondering about a low price range air integrated computer like the Mares Puck 2... What do u think?

Thanks a lot for your help Johnny!
(as his birthday's coming soon, I need to buy it these days; so the sooner the better - if u can...) :wink:

Take care!

merci,
Mathilde

To make your suunto less conservative just set your RGBM to 50%.

However, do this at your own risk and only if you are an experienced diver in good health, under 50 years old.

Do you have any idea what changing the RGBM model to 50% does and/or under what very specific circumstances that difference actually kicks in?

:shocked2:

I've been pleased with my Vyper Air. I purchased it about a month ago. As soon as I did my first dive with it, I was able to use it to help me do better dives and make my air last longer. I came from a Sherwood Insight, which was my first dive computer. However, it was not air integrated, so it was hard for me to tell how to best control my breathing and make the air last longer.

I like the compass in there, but it took a few minutes to get it aligned properly. I'd like it if the compass heading were recorded with the rest of the data in the log. Then the sofware might be able to show you the path you took diving.

I've heard some issues about the Suunto computers (I think the D6) getting confused about the altitude when at surface level. I'm hoping that if that was an issue it has been fixed.

My only complaint was getting the data from the old dive computer software into the Suunto Dive Manager software from the Sherwood software. They don't share a common export or import file structure, so myself being a software developer, made a custom solution to extract the data from the Sherwood database and put it directly into the Suunto database. I now know quite a bit about the Suunto database.

I also find the documentation for the Suunto Vyper Air to be lacking. On my first real dive, I had an issue with my weight, and came up faster than I would have liked (although only from about 25 feet) without a safety stop. The computer showed an "Extended Surface Interval" warning, but nothing in the manual told me what that meant. Eventually it went away and I went back in with no issues.

I am very satisfied with both of my computers. I have heard a few people say they didn’t like Suunto because they were too conservative. I was just asking what you guys though about them. I don’t really have a direct question. Thanks for you input.
I do not think they are too conservative. My problem is I have the Vyper wireless Air integrated. 2 of 4 dives. The transmitter and the computer failed. I could not re-link the rest of the dive. I have to have a backup pressure gauge. This is disapointing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom