Suunto DM4??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for this question, I'm not sure if you really answered the question satisfactorily. I can't speak for harleythedog but I think the question pertained more to the availability of data to the user locally as opposed to via movescount. Whether or not the data is stored locally is rather irrelevant if the user has no way of accessing it. Writing a SQL client to access the information which is stored in a SQLite databse is hardly a solution for the average user.

That is exactly what I was asking. My understanding is that one would need access to Movescout to actually add dives to my divelog, access data, air consumption, etc. The data may be locally stored but it does me no good if I can't access it without an internet connection. Will DM4 or a later 4+ version remove the dependency on Movescout. My real need is a completely standalone (fully functional) application, no dependency on a cloud or external service. If this is not on the product roadmap, I would appreciate knowing before I go the D9tx route.

I do want to thank you Pia for responding to this thread. I know it must be challenging fielding all the questions.

thanks

my experiance :
DM4 is useless, just its load startup time, made me mad, its other ignoring features is covered quite well by others.
DM3 works great, loads fast and you can store alot of info locally, and you can easy have several units even of same brand with multible users.
one thing that also drives me mad on the vyper,
is the ULTRA long wait for all dives in the unit to be loaded in as a list,
then you select the few new dives you want to transfer to your PC,
then it takes a tiny sec to download all the data in all the selected dives, what a joke !!
next week, EVEN worse problem, with the list, and it just grow and grow !!
since I can not find a way to delete allready transfered dives from my unit !

the dive logs are nice and detailed in the depth, good graph but the temperature only has a few points on the curve,
just the min and max temperature and maybe also the temperature at your max depth, that is what you get.

Pia,

You seem to have read the comments but do you understand them? F.Y.I. It is NOT about you being happy, it is about your customers being happy!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure that Suunto that Suuntos policy might be 'If we don't do anything, they'll HAVE to use movescount.'

They will move alright but not to "Movescount." They will move to UWATEC, etc.

I have checked back every few weeks just to see if things would be getting better. I can see they haven't. I can't believe that DM4 continues to offer such little functionality as compared with SDM-3. As divers, we really are not interested in this cloud based crap and really don't care about other people's fitness adventures and statistics. What we really want and need is a fully functional stand alone application. DM4 has really gone WAY backwards in this regard. What the heck gives here? This is absolutely beyond belief. If I hadn't seen it for myself, it would truly be hard to comprehend just how bad things have gotten for the Suunto Dive Computer community. My wife and I currently both have Cobra 2 computers. We both have our dive logs easily accessible with SDM-3. It is absolutely ludicrous that we would be expected now to create an entire computer profile login for each of us just in order for us to be able to both track our dives with DM4. I can readily say that we will not be doing this. I am really quite aggravated about the direction things are going. Please listen up Suunto. You really should be paying more attention to the comments from the dive community. I have really not heard or seen one thing positive about this new software to date from the dive community. Most everyone is really upset and I believe rightly so. If this is not straightened out soon, I anticipate that you will be losing customers and I for one will be looking at your competition. Please get this abysmal situation straightened out ASAP.

That is exactly what I was asking. My understanding is that one would need access to Movescout to actually add dives to my divelog, access data, air consumption, etc. The data may be locally stored but it does me no good if I can't access it without an internet connection. Will DM4 or a later 4+ version remove the dependency on Movescout. My real need is a completely standalone (fully functional) application, no dependency on a cloud or external service. If this is not on the product roadmap, I would appreciate knowing before I go the D9tx route.

Hi - yup you're right - there would not be much point of having all the data stored locally if they wouldn't eventually be used :blinking: Really, honestly and humbly, all I can say is that DM4 will have all the features that Suunto Dive Manager 3.1 has. From a diver to all you fellow divers on ScubaBoard, there is not a shred of unclarity in this respect at Suunto.

More broadly regarding Movescount, it is an online sports diary that Suunto offers to all active people. By no means they have to be users of Suunto products. Looking at the Movescount from another angle, it would be rather discriminating _not_ to include diving to the list of offered sports. Should a person wish to log all their various sports activites, including a snorkeling session or a scuba diving experience, Movescount allows for that. Who is to say that such a person is wrong or ignorant to wish to do that? There's a lot we can improve on Movescount for sure - the work continues.

Thank you for all the critique and feedback, every bit of it is noted. I'll be happy to continue answering questions as well - keep 'em coming.

\Pia from Suunto

Really, honestly and humbly, all I can say is that DM4 will have all the features that Suunto Dive Manager 3.1 has. From a diver to all you fellow divers on ScubaBoard, there is not a shred of unclarity in this respect at Suunto.

Thank you Pia. That is what I wanted to hear and I trust it will set a lot of other divers' minds at ease. It is regrettable that Suunto replaced a version of software with a new version that does less than the existing one. In fact, this must be the first time I have ever encountered software being replaced by a new and diminished version as opposed to a new and improved version but knowing that it will eventually have all the functionality of the existing one is a relief. Until such time, I will simply stick to SDM3.1.

Looking at the Movescount from another angle, it would be rather discriminating _not_ to include diving to the list of offered sports.
Absolutely! But the argument is not that Movescount should not include diving, the argument is that Suunto users should not be forced to use Movescount if they wanted the functionality that SDM3.1 used to offer.

great suunto read this post, please let your software and hardware designers read ALL our posts a few times again
and then fix it..
I am using DM3 and all continue with this until a fixed and working version of DM4.x exist
also I must repeat I am driven nuts about the list load wait before a few logs can be selected and transfered !!
what the heck cant I select and DELETE logs in the Vyper computer, AFTER they are transfered to a PC
so I dont have to wait this long next time I have a bunch of logs to select and transfer.
maybe this require a firmware update of the Vyper or what ever I dont know,
what about asking a few ACTIVE divers to test products before they go into production ?
oh another detail, the time it takes after a button is pressed to screen react !!! is EXTREAMLY important to make ZERO mS

Hi - the data is stored also locally. The OS provides the application with a location for persistent data. In this location you can find application settings (AppVersion\user.config) , logs (SuuntoDM4_*.log) and database (DM4.db, SQLite database file). Hope this helps! \Pia from Suunto

And what good does that do if the APPLICATION does not SHOW this information???
If everything is stored locally, then make it accessible locally. And let me edit it locally.

I take my electronic log along on holidays to read about a divesite I've been before. How do you expect me to do this if I don't even see the divesite?

BTW, I looked into the DM4.db, whoever designed this database structure should be shot immediately. Seldom have I ever seen something this poorly designed. The programmers should seriously get some help from somebody who KNOWS how databases work.

Hi - the data is stored also locally. The OS provides the application with a location for persistent data. In this location you can find application settings (AppVersion\user.config) , logs (SuuntoDM4_*.log) and database (DM4.db, SQLite database file). Hope this helps! \Pia from Suunto
BTW, I looked into the DM4.db...
Where did you find it? I've been trawling my hard drive and I can't seem to find these files.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom