Suunto DM4??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really, honestly and humbly, all I can say is that DM4 will have all the features that Suunto Dive Manager 3.1 has. From a diver to all you fellow divers on ScubaBoard, there is not a shred of unclarity in this respect at Suunto.

Thank you for all the critique and feedback, every bit of it is noted. I'll be happy to continue answering questions as well - keep 'em coming.

\Pia from Suunto

Pia,

Do you think that a real working version of your updated software that has at least all of the features the older retired version of the software will come out before your customers get sick of waiting and all defect to UWATEC or any of your other competitors?

BTW, I looked into the DM4.db, whoever designed this database structure should be shot immediately. Seldom have I ever seen something this poorly designed.
that's because you didn't look the SDM 3.x database design :D

So a lot of promises from Suunto, but no action!! I suggest that this task is beyond the capabilities of Suunto, or there is not the will to do it. After such an appalling release, and universal condemnation, there have been but 2 updates, neither of which made terribly much difference. I strongly suggest if you do buy Suunto, buy a model compatible with DM3.1, and therefore with 3rd party software. I suspect we can write off the Suunto software and concentrate on independent programs, the advantage of which is you can keep the software, and buy any brand of computer!!! Unfortunately the latest model Suunto computers, are only compatible with DM4, which I would consider a deal breaker. (until the 3rd party developers update)
Pia, are you the project leader, or a spokesperson? Your loyalty is to be admired but I don't get much encouragement from you promises as so little has changed since launch.

All Pia seems to be doing is just come on the board every now and then and give us the hurrah hurrah company line, no substance or real commitment to doing anything at all.

Most unprofessional and amateurish attitude. I hope that you all are comparing Suunto's condescending attitude with the outstanding response and service the Atomic people are doing with their new computer and their customer support.

We're also encouraging everyone to contact our Helpdesk at Suunto.com for detailed troubleshooting on connectivity issues, drivers etc.

Tom Phillipp
Product Manager
Aqua Lung / Suunto Distributor in the USA

I did...and was told I need to go buy ANOTHER $90 cable because they will not support the serial cable with DM4. At first they tried telling me it was a Windows 7 64 bit issue and then changed their tune when I said same cable and converter on same laptop worked with 3.1.0. Not a Win 7 64 bit issue - it is a DM4 issue! They stopped responding when I asked when they would add functionality to chose my COM port to DM4 like I can in 3.1.0. When it comes time to look at an upgrade to my Vytec, i doubt I will be looking too hard at Suunto with support like that.

Has anyone here used Diving Log 5.0 (current version 5.0.4)? This is a paid software and apparently supports Suunto products. There is a trial version that I may try, but I was hoping to hear if anyone has given this a shot? It might be worth actually spending a couple of bucks in order to have a fully functional computerized dive log. At first glance, it seems to have quite a bit of functionality.

I would also like to point out that there has been mention of a couple of hundred people signed up with DM4 and MovesCount. This does not in any way mean that these people are actually using this software or like it. I am one of those who signed up, tried it, and was appalled. I am not and will not be using it in its current state. I would venture to guess that the majority of divers that are signed up are in the same boat.

I would also like to point out that there has been mention of a couple of hundred people signed up with DM4 and MovesCount. This does not in any way mean that these people are actually using this software or like it. I am one of those who signed up, tried it, and was appalled.
i also created an account to check the capabilities, but i don't use it.
no interest

you got to be joking !!
first of all, the cable should be included in the parcel for free in the first place,
anything else is selling uncompleete product,
and sec, the cost of this cable is REDICULUS hight !!
and with DM4 not beeing able to select normal comports, so you can use your good old intefcace that actually works just fine, is not acceptable.

if we dear fellow customers, only did our research BEFORE purchasing,
and stopped purchasing items not perfectly designed,
the issue will solve it self, so it is our own fault.

I did...and was told I need to go buy ANOTHER $90 cable because they will not support the serial cable with DM4. At first they tried telling me it was a Windows 7 64 bit issue and then changed their tune when I said same cable and converter on same laptop worked with 3.1.0. Not a Win 7 64 bit issue - it is a DM4 issue! They stopped responding when I asked when they would add functionality to chose my COM port to DM4 like I can in 3.1.0. When it comes time to look at an upgrade to my Vytec, i doubt I will be looking too hard at Suunto with support like that.

Has anyone here used Diving Log 5.0 (current version 5.0.4)? This is a paid software and apparently supports Suunto products. There is a trial version that I may try, but I was hoping to hear if anyone has given this a shot? It might be worth actually spending a couple of bucks in order to have a fully functional computerized dive log. At first glance, it seems to have quite a bit of functionality.

Diving Log is a great piece of software with an impressive amount of features. Definitely worth the money. But just try it out instead of trusting my (slightly biased) judgment.

Anyway, the main reason why I'm responding to this topic is that Diving Log (and other third party applications based on the libdivecomputer project) will very likely support the D4i, D6i and D9tx in the near future. If you own one of these devices and are interested to help us with this effort, you can contact me by email for details and instructions.

Really, honestly and humbly, all I can say is that DM4 will have all the features that Suunto Dive Manager 3.1 has. From a diver to all you fellow divers on ScubaBoard, there is not a shred of unclarity in this respect at Suunto.

\Pia from Suunto

There may not be a shred of unclarity in this at Suunto, but it is obvious there is among the users here. I am a new Cobra user (times 3) and the best bet other than dumping the re-write and start over is to probably give REAL timelines to when the fixes will be put into place. (And I agree with a previous poster about how ridiculus it is to have to create different OS profiles just to have different computer profiles)

The sad thing is, I probably would have tried just DM4, thought it was junk and gave up on the computer interface if I hadn't gotten DM3 with the cable, then had to install it when DM4 kept crashing upon downloading 1 dive. Dl'd the info into DM3, exported then imported into DM4 to see what it was all about. I have since uninstalled DM4. To say DM4 is even equal (much less better) than DM3 would be like saying the temp on the moon is equal to or warmer than the temp on the sun...

Very disappointing to a first time user of your products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom