Suunto SK7 replacement bezel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmy T

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a replacement bezel for my Suunto SK7 compass? I was using an aftermarket boot that allows the use of a bungee and the bezel fell out during a dive, so it's not a warranty issue.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited to add: I'm not sure if this was an issue with the boot, compass, or user error. I thought I followed the directions, but you never know - I may have screwed something up, or something could have broken on the compass.

Jimmy T:
Anyone know where I can find a replacement bezel for my Suunto SK7 compass? I was using an aftermarket boot that allows the use of a bungee and the bezel fell out during a dive, so it's not a warranty issue.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Well I'm hoping it wasn't one of my boots.........

I do know that a Suunto Dealer can order just the bezel and bezel retainer. The retainer is the "white legs" the bezel mounts to.

Suunto used to make all SK7 internals the same, i.e. the same guts were used in a Consloe as in a wrist mount. More recently they have started to furnish different "guts" in their new consoles. What you need is the replacement bezel and retainer for a "Wrist Mount". AFAIK, the Suunto wrist mounts have not changed.

Sorry I'm not a Suunto dealer, and I do not have the part numbers, if any body knows I'd love to have em.

If it was one of my boots I'd be very interested in know more about how this happended.

Regards,

Tobin

I'm looking for a bezel, too. If you find one, let me know.

Tobin - we've been through this. That white thing has a name. Its "pizza box thingie..."

Don't make me tell you again... :D

---
Ken

You guys are making me rethink my desire to get a replacement boot for the SK7. I was going to switch from my Ikelite Pro compass to an SK7 because of the readability at angles, and thought I'd go with an aftermarket boot to reduce the profile. Input to the contrary?

I was worried about my bezel turning/falling out after switching mounts. I solved that worry with a little drop of aquaseal. All tight and happy now :)

Brian

frenchy07:
I was worried about my bezel turning/falling out after switching mounts. I solved that worry with a little drop of aquaseal. All tight and happy now :)

Brian

That's how I killed my first SK7 bezel.

Just yesterday, it happened again. Forgot to take off the gauges before chicken-winging out of the thing. Got the right arm out, left arm got caught on the DS vent, then ran down my arm at about 80 MPH and mowed over my left wrist. The bezel did a double back ganor with a twist and went flying onto the deck of the boat.

The thing is, it was in one of Tobin's mounts. The bezel AND the PBT pulled out enmasse. No damage, no worries. Just popped them back in. Did two more dives, and found the boat each time!

If I was using the original, snugger, stock SK7 mount, the bezel would have ripped 2 of its four micro tabs, and would have been rendered useless.

I now add "Bezel Shock Mount" to the list of mad lovin' I laud upon Tobin's SK7 boot.

---
Ken

Speaking of, I noticed that my bezel tries to creep out over time. I think it's because a little ridge on my black 'pizza box device' prevents it from seating all the way by about 1/64". Any ideas Tobin?

First issue:

It appears that until recently Suunto used the same internal components in both the Console version and wrist version of the SK7.

Now it appears that Suunto has started to use slightly different components in the two versions. The actual fluid filled clear plastic compass appears to be the same, what now differs is the bezel and bezel retainer, or (PBTingy)

The currently available wrist model has the original DSS boot compatible parts, the "older" console models have DSS boot compatible parts. The "New" console models have bezel / bezel retainers that are not DSS boot compatible.

All compatible bezel / bezel retainers I've seen are white (white PBTingy) The non compatible newer parts are black.

Second issue:

It appears that even with the compaible parts it is possible to have the bezel retainer rotate in the boot. This can in most cases be eliminated by lubing the bezel with a little silicone spray. Even brand new compasses can be fairly stiff and hard to turn.

In some cases it appears that unwanted rotation of the bezel retainer can result in loss of the bezel and bezel retainer.

DSS has now produced a new design Compass boot. (Ya really, worked late on a sunday modifing the mold!) It will still require the "original" internal parts, i.e. the white bezel retainer (white PBTingy) but has been modified to prevent unwanted rotation, and the loss of the bezel.

Anybody wishing to exchange their current Compass boot need only return their boot to DSS with a note requesting exchange. We will need a mailing address. We should have replacement boots in about a week.

DSS does not have a boot compatible with the newer "black" console internals. It is apparently possible to purchase just the older white bezel / bezel retainer individually, but I don't yet have the necessary part number. This in theory should be the only piece required if one has the newer console mount and wants to use a DSS boot.

When I know more I will post it here and on my site.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom