Suunto SK7 replacement bezel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
In some cases it appears that unwanted rotation of the bezel retainer can result in loss of the bezel and bezel retainer.

DSS has now produced a new design Compass boot. (Ya really, worked late on a sunday modifing the mold!) It will still require the "original" internal parts, i.e. the white bezel retainer (white PBTingy) but has been modified to prevent unwanted rotation, and the loss of the bezel.

Anybody wishing to exchange their current Compass boot need only return their boot to DSS with a note requesting exchange. We will need a mailing address. We should have replacement boots in about a week.

When I know more I will post it here and on my site.

Tobin

On my older wrist model (still with the white PBT) it rotates in the Tobin boot sometimes - so the PBT blocks the side window. The newer wrist model not so much - I was able to correct the situation last week with silicone.

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll send back the first one.

---
Ken

cool_hardware52:
First issue:

It appears that until recently Suunto used the same internal components in both the Console version and wrist version of the SK7.

Now it appears that Suunto has started to use slightly different components in the two versions. The actual fluid filled clear plastic compass appears to be the same, what now differs is the bezel and bezel retainer, or (PBTingy)

The currently available wrist model has the original DSS boot compatible parts, the "older" console models have DSS boot compatible parts. The "New" console models have bezel / bezel retainers that are not DSS boot compatible.

All compatible bezel / bezel retainers I've seen are white (white PBTingy) The non compatible newer parts are black.

Second issue:

It appears that even with the compaible parts it is possible to have the bezel retainer rotate in the boot. This can in most cases be eliminated by lubing the bezel with a little silicone spray. Even brand new compasses can be fairly stiff and hard to turn.

In some cases it appears that unwanted rotation of the bezel retainer can result in loss of the bezel and bezel retainer.

DSS has now produced a new design Compass boot. (Ya really, worked late on a sunday modifing the mold!) It will still require the "original" internal parts, i.e. the white bezel retainer (white PBTingy) but has been modified to prevent unwanted rotation, and the loss of the bezel.

Anybody wishing to exchange their current Compass boot need only return their boot to DSS with a note requesting exchange. We will need a mailing address. We should have replacement boots in about a week.

DSS does not have a boot compatible with the newer "black" console internals. It is apparently possible to purchase just the older white bezel / bezel retainer individually, but I don't yet have the necessary part number. This in theory should be the only piece required if one has the newer console mount and wants to use a DSS boot.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin,

I too had lost my bezzle and was just getting a replacement. Now that I know you have redisgned the boot I will replace it as well. Hopefully this will solve my problem. I was having the rotation problem.

smoritz0370:
Thanks Tobin,

I too had lost my bezzle and was just getting a replacement. Now that I know you have redisgned the boot I will replace it as well. Hopefully this will solve my problem. I was having the rotation problem.

Have you found a source for a replacement bezel? I contacted Suunto and they told me to contact Aqualung for the replacement parts. I guess Aqualung distributes some Suunto products here in the US. Aqualung is located in CA and I'm in FL, so I'm waiting until this afternoon Eastern time to try and contact them. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Good to know that I wasn't the only one that had the problem with the bezel turning. I thought it might have been the fact that the compass had been setting in the sun for several hours and the boot swelled a bit. Looks like the boot is headed back to Tobin.

BTW, Tobin thanks for taking care of this issue AND taking care of your customers. Most companies would have said so sad you bought too early, buy another. Down side is that now I have to buy new bungee, I know maybe a buck! :D

Jimmy T:
Have you found a source for a replacement bezel? I contacted Suunto and they told me to contact Aqualung for the replacement parts. I guess Aqualung distributes some Suunto products here in the US. Aqualung is located in CA and I'm in FL, so I'm waiting until this afternoon Eastern time to try and contact them. I'll let you all know what I find out.

I'll call them this week. Maybe I can order a dozen and we can sort of sell them amongst ourselves.

I'll let you know.

---
Ken

crpntr133:
BTW, Tobin thanks for taking care of this issue AND taking care of your customers. Most companies would have said so sad you bought too early, buy another. Down side is that now I have to buy new bungee, I know maybe a buck! :D

Why can't you reuse the bungee? With persistence you can untie the knots.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
First issue:

It appears that until recently Suunto used the same internal components in both the Console version and wrist version of the SK7.

Now it appears that Suunto has started to use slightly different components in the two versions. The actual fluid filled clear plastic compass appears to be the same, what now differs is the bezel and bezel retainer, or (PBTingy)

The currently available wrist model has the original DSS boot compatible parts, the "older" console models have DSS boot compatible parts. The "New" console models have bezel / bezel retainers that are not DSS boot compatible.

All compatible bezel / bezel retainers I've seen are white (white PBTingy) The non compatible newer parts are black.

Second issue:

It appears that even with the compaible parts it is possible to have the bezel retainer rotate in the boot. This can in most cases be eliminated by lubing the bezel with a little silicone spray. Even brand new compasses can be fairly stiff and hard to turn.

DSS does not have a boot compatible with the newer "black" console internals. It is apparently possible to purchase just the older white bezel / bezel retainer individually, but I don't yet have the necessary part number. This in theory should be the only piece required if one has the newer console mount and wants to use a DSS boot.

Tobin

Cool! I am among those with the black console internals. No problems so far, but am interested in whatever you suggest. thanks!

My bezel rotated in the boot from the get go, even after lubing it up with silicone spray (it turns freely now). I just figured the moron (uhhhh..that would be me) did a little damage when it was installed and it wouldn't stay put. Installed a second one (the dive buddy wife's) and it did the same thing, scratched my head and that is when the drop of aquaseal came into play.

I appreciate t dealing with someone of Tobin's caliber. Wish I could deal with more people with his sense of integrity and belief in his products. I will deffitnally be dealing with him again in the future but keep the boots I already have (figure that the little mod I did during instalation voided any return and I have no problem with that). I love the low profile of the boot and hope that I always remember to remove it before removing my BC (80 mph down the arm, can you say ouch!!!)

Thanks for the great product Tobin and I WILL be back again.
Brian

frenchy07:
My bezel rotated in the boot from the get go, even after lubing it up with silicone spray (it turns freely now). I just figured the moron (uhhhh..that would be me) did a little damage when it was installed and it wouldn't stay put. Installed a second one (the dive buddy wife's) and it did the same thing, scratched my head and that is when the drop of aquaseal came into play.

I appreciate t dealing with someone of Tobin's caliber. Wish I could deal with more people with his sense of integrity and belief in his products. I will deffitnally be dealing with him again in the future but keep the boots I already have (figure that the little mod I did during instalation voided any return and I have no problem with that). I love the low profile of the boot and hope that I always remember to remove it before removing my BC (80 mph down the arm, can you say ouch!!!)

Thanks for the great product Tobin and I WILL be back again.
Brian

Either way Brian, the offer stands, if you'd like the new one just send in whatever you have left.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom