Question Suunto Transmitter on Scubapro MK17: Which Flow Restrictor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I felt I had some deeply buried memory of this but haven’t used anything Suunto in years.

Yeah, it happened a while ago, my recollection is hazy too.

There are numerous reports and threads here on SB here about exploding Shearwater transmitters. IIRC the recall was for Shearwater. It appears that this problem has affected transmitters across brands…

There are numerous reports and threads here on SB here about exploding Shearwater transmitters. IIRC the recall was for Shearwater. It appears that this problem has affected transmitters across brands…
You may be confusing the loss of an OPV on a SWIFT transmitter with an explosion.

Use the short one, and you can use it without but you must ensure a slow opening of the valve. I have used it without when my hose sprung a leak and I didn't have the short one with me. I do highly recommend a short 6" or 15cm hose as it gets stiff when pressurized and keeps hands off the transmitter, the Suunto transmitter will break if someone confuses it for the tank knob. If you never go where a DM or Boat help will be touching your stuff than maybe no hose, but if there is a chance that someone will "help" you, the hose is good insurance. It is a failure point as I mentioned earlier, but it was a new hose and had a problem before going on the regulator set. I also found that the short hose moved the transmitter out from behind my head and helped with loss of comms during the dive. DC on right arm and short hose out right side of first stage worked best for me. Also, don't turn off your tank right after testing your comms. Suuntos will reset the pairing if the gas is shutoff too soon after turning on. I found this out the hard way and had to figure out how to pair it before diving.

Use the short one, and you can use it without but you must ensure a slow opening of the valve. I have used it without when my hose sprung a leak and I didn't have the short one with me. I do highly recommend a short 6" or 15cm hose as it gets stiff when pressurized and keeps hands off the transmitter, the Suunto transmitter will break if someone confuses it for the tank knob. If you never go where a DM or Boat help will be touching your stuff than maybe no hose, but if there is a chance that someone will "help" you, the hose is good insurance. It is a failure point as I mentioned earlier, but it was a new hose and had a problem before going on the regulator set. I also found that the short hose moved the transmitter out from behind my head and helped with loss of comms during the dive. DC on right arm and short hose out right side of first stage worked best for me. Also, don't turn off your tank right after testing your comms. Suuntos will reset the pairing if the gas is shutoff too soon after turning on. I found this out the hard way and had to figure out how to pair it before diving.
It is really nice that Suuntos are always trying to help....adding 1% to your O2 setting, making sure you have long SIs, etc.

I very much appreciate this answer, thank you. I now consider the hose, you gave me some clear reasons.
Thanks buddy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom