Suunto Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We really like the Zoop/Gekko/Vyper computers and have 4:
Zoop ~90 dives
Gekko ~400 dives
Gekko ~800 dives
Vyper ~1300 dives

All have been totally trouble free.
The batteries are very easy to change by someone with minimal mechanical aptitude.

The batteries are very easy to change by someone with minimal mechanical aptitude.
Should I take that as an insult? :wink:

We've actually also got 2 Gekkos and 2 Vypers. Even the (very competent) owner of the dive shop we frequent complains about changing these things.

Ive never had a problem and my IQ is probably only just higher than room temperature, I think if you can tie shoelaces you can change a battery on one of these:wink:

Should I take that as an insult? :wink:

We've actually also got 2 Gekkos and 2 Vypers. Even the (very competent) owner of the dive shop we frequent complains about changing these things.

Nope. No insult intended. I am just reporting my experience for the benefit of the OP.

But, FWIW my belief is that "competence is as competence does". Maybe it's just me, but if an LDS person does not find changing these batteries to be childsplay, I would be really, really hesitant about letting him rebuild my reg.

If you dive with another Suunto user, or if you are an air hog (common when new, and for some of us common later on, too) who runs low on air before running low on NDL time left, this may never seem like an issue for you. But if you & your buddy are good with air, you may be jabbing him in the arm signaling let's go up, I'm almost out of NDL, and he's looking at you like what's your problem, he's got plenty!

I've used Suunto nearly exclusively for recreational diving - over the past 10 years - and as a dive guide/instructor. That's meant that I've had literally thousands of opportunities to compare it with other computers.

Whilst there is a difference in calculated NDL (Suunto being shorter), it's typically negligible for the 'average' recreational dive profile. I only noticed a marked difference when conducting repetitive, deep (100-130ft), square-profile (wreck) dives.

That's not something a beginner diver would probably be experiencing anytime soon... and when they do, they should be in a position to appreciate the issues involved with 'controlling compartments' and why a given computer will react as it does under the circumstances - the chances being that they'll appreciate the conservatism...

When conducting 'aggressive' repetitive deep dives, the diver should be considering their computers' conservatism settings anyway. Suunto can stay put... whilst other, more aggressive modeled computers might be reigned in.

9 times out of 10 (or more).. you'd be multi-leveling anyway - making the differential utterly irrelevant.

Suuntos... and the Zoop in particular, are very popular with dive pros (certainly in Asia). If there were a major problem with NDL foreshortening, then it'd be transparent through the customer feedback received as dive guides. I've certainly had no complaints about 'short dives'

For me, the audible alarms on the Zoop could be louder. Like many have mentioned, no backlighting, no compass, but in its price range, you are not going to get a compass.

Overall, I am satisfied with this computer. If you choose to have it more liberal, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to set it so its more liberal.

This is a moot point for me now...my wife and kids got me a D4i for dad's day :)

Does the Zoop have Guage Mode? The manual I downloaded doesn't mention that. IF it does have Guage Mode (perhaps as an undocumented feature?), it would reinforce my belief that it is a good "first computer."

Does the Zoop have Guage Mode? The manual I downloaded doesn't mention that. IF it does have Guage Mode (perhaps as an undocumented feature?), it would reinforce my belief that it is a good "first computer."
Not according to their comparison charts either -
Compare | Suunto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom